Runoff from watershed (hydrology)

• Thread starter tzx9633
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hydrology
In summary, the question asks for the calculation of the amount of water lost due to combined effects of evaporation, transpiration, and infiltration, as well as the estimation of runoff from a watershed with a surface area of 3100km^2 that received 170cm of precipitation during a one year period. However, the question does not provide enough information to calculate the runoff, as it does not mention the ground water flow. The total lost water is estimated to be 119cm.
tzx9633

Homework Statement

A watershed with a surface area of 3100km^2 received 170cm of precipitation during a one year period . Durign the same year , the outflow was 50(m^3)/sec .Calculate the amount of water lost due to combined effects of evaporation , transpiration and infiltration. Also estimate the runoff from the watershed .

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For this question , i am not sure how to do . But , i studied the formula of I-Q = dS/dt , where I - inflow , Q - outflow , dS/dt = change of storage over time

so , i let total inflow = outflow + combined effects of losses.. I am not sure how to get the runoff volume

so , i already gt total lost = 119cm . Bu t, how to get runoff ? I don't think we can get runoff directly from this question . I think the question got problem

Physics news on Phys.org
Can anyone help ?

I agree with your answer 119cm.

I also think there is something wrong with the question.. I think total runoff = outflow + ground water flow but the problem doesn't give info on the ground water flow. Is there more information in other parts of the question?

Likes tzx9633
CWatters said:

I also think there is something wrong with the question.. I think total runoff = outflow + ground water flow but the problem doesn't give info on the ground water flow. Is there more information in other parts of the question?
It seems that you are familiar with hydrology , can you help me out in this thread ? https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/double-mass-curve.927072/#post-5851756

Thanks in advance !

CWatters said:

or the runoff here simply means loss to outflow = 50cm ?

Related to Runoff from watershed (hydrology)

1. What is runoff from a watershed?

Runoff from a watershed refers to the movement of water from precipitation or other sources (such as melting snow or ice) over the surface of the land and into bodies of water, such as streams, rivers, and lakes. This water may also seep into the ground and become groundwater.

2. How does runoff from a watershed affect the environment?

Runoff from a watershed can have both positive and negative effects on the environment. On one hand, it helps replenish bodies of water and maintain healthy ecosystems. However, excessive runoff can lead to erosion, sedimentation, and pollution of water sources. It can also contribute to flooding and drought in certain areas.

3. What factors influence the amount of runoff from a watershed?

The amount of runoff from a watershed is influenced by several factors, including the size and shape of the watershed, the type of soil and land cover, and the amount and intensity of precipitation. Human activities, such as development and land use changes, can also impact the amount of runoff.

4. How is runoff from a watershed measured?

Runoff from a watershed can be measured using various methods, including stream gauges, satellite imagery, and computer models. Stream gauges measure the flow of water in streams and rivers, while satellite imagery and computer models use remote sensing and data analysis to estimate runoff from larger areas.

5. How can runoff from a watershed be managed and controlled?

There are several strategies for managing and controlling runoff from a watershed, including implementing green infrastructure practices (such as rain gardens and green roofs), creating retention ponds and wetlands to capture and store excess water, and implementing land use planning and regulations to limit development in sensitive areas. These approaches can help reduce the negative impacts of runoff and promote sustainable water management.