Running on Ice: My High School Story

In summary, the author explains that in order to run on ice safely, you need to drag your feet rather than step, and you need to keep your feet close together to prevent them from spreading. You also need to rehearse how to fall without getting hurt.
Stephenk53
I am currently in high school and about to graduate, any way in the past I often threw caution to the wind and ran on ice when I walked home from school. When I was in middle school it went as poorly as one would expect but for some reason I kept trying, in early high school I became extremely good at it and can sprint on ice without falling at all. I recently stopped since I usually do not walk home due to health issues.

Anyway I run on it by dragging my feet and keeping my feet relatively close together to prevent my feet from spreading thus causing me to fall. I am wondering why I need to drag my feet or I will fall and why even though I have poor balance can easily run on ice. By the way I haven't ice skated since elementary school

Physics news on Phys.org
Stephenk53 said:
Anyway I run on it by dragging my feet and keeping my feet relatively close together to prevent my feet from spreading thus causing me to fall. I am wondering why I need to drag my feet or I will fall and why even though I have poor balance can easily run on ice. By the way I haven't ice skated since elementary school
In order to support your weight, your feet need to exert a vertical force on the ice equal to your weight. if your leg is at an angle, in order to provide a vertical force it must also provide a horizontal force. The steeper the angle (further apart your legs), the larger that horizontal force needs to be. That's a problem if the ice can't hold that horizontal force via friction.

russ_watters said:
In order to support your weight, your feet need to exert a vertical force on the ice equal to your weight. if your leg is at an angle, in order to provide a vertical force it must also provide a horizontal force. The steeper the angle (further apart your legs), the larger that horizontal force needs to be. That's a problem if the ice can't hold that horizontal force via friction.
Alright, but why do I need to drag my feet rather than step and run normally

I don't think there's a physics reason for how you personally run on ice, because I'm not convinced that your method is definitely best. You are using short controlled movements because you perhaps can't react to large slip movements as well as short ones.

Stephenk53 said:
Alright, but why do I need to drag my feet rather than step and run normally
Probably just so the forces are smoother. If you pick up and put down a foot, that momentarily applies a larger force, which can break the static friction.

I regularly run on ice in the winter. There is a technique. Your foot must come down and make contact directly under your center of gravity, then you need to push with force low enough to not slip. If your foot skids when coming down, then it did not come down in the right place.

Cold ice (below zero deg F) has higher static friction coefficient than warm (temperature in the 20's) ice. Wet (melting) ice is very difficult to run on. Ice with less friction requires a shorter stride. Cold ice allows an almost normal stride for easy runs. I do not do speed work on ice.

I have, and only rarely use, ice traction gadgets for my running shoes. They work very well on warm ice, not so well on cold ice, and very poorly on bare pavement. It's been several years since I have fallen on ice, but I do rehearse how to fall without getting hurt.

Related to Running on Ice: My High School Story

1. What inspired you to write "Running on Ice: My High School Story"?

I was inspired to write "Running on Ice: My High School Story" because of my own experiences as a high school student and runner. I wanted to share my personal story and the challenges I faced in hopes of inspiring others to pursue their passions and overcome obstacles.

2. Is the story based on real events?

Yes, "Running on Ice: My High School Story" is based on real events. While some details may be altered for storytelling purposes, the overall story and events are based on my own experiences.

3. What message do you hope readers take away from the book?

The main message I hope readers take away from "Running on Ice: My High School Story" is to never give up on your dreams, even in the face of adversity. I also hope to inspire readers to believe in themselves and their abilities, and to always strive for personal growth and improvement.

4. Did you have to do any research for the book?

Yes, I did have to do some research for the book, especially in areas such as training techniques and the mental and emotional aspects of being a high school athlete. I also did additional research on the history of running and notable runners for background information in the story.

5. What advice do you have for young athletes going through similar challenges?

My advice for young athletes going through similar challenges is to always stay true to yourself and your passions. It's important to have a strong support system and to surround yourself with people who believe in you. Don't be afraid to ask for help and always remember that setbacks and failures are just part of the journey towards success.