Running at Different Speeds: Who Experiences Time Differently?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of time dilation and how it is affected by relative speeds. It is explained that time is relative and that both parties will see each other's clocks as running slower. This is a consequence of Einstein's postulates and the laws of physics being the same in every inertial frame. It is recommended to further explore this concept through a tutorial book.
Hepic
Lets say we run(forever) with 200km/h and our friend with 10km/h.
Time will run slower for me or will run faster for my friend?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hepic said:
Lets say we run(forever) with 200km/h and our friend with 10km/h.
Those speeds are with respect to what? For example: You run eastward at 200 km/h with respect to the ground and your friend runs westward at 10 km/h with respect to the ground.

Time will run slower for me or will run faster for my friend?
"Time" is relative. You think your clocks (and everything else moving along with you) are running at their normal rates. But you say that your friends clocks are running slow compared to yours.

Of course, it's completely symmetrical. Your friend says the same thing about your clocks running slow.

If I run faster I will see my friends clock go slower,and my friend will see my clock to go faster?

Hepic said:
If I run faster I will see my friends clock go slower,and my friend will see my clock to go faster?
No. You both see each others clocks as running slow.

Ohh why? I thought the faster you run the slower time.
Why the slower person see the time of faster person with slower from his time?

Hepic said:
Ohh why? I thought the faster you run the slower time.
Only as seen by someone else, not by you. As far as you are concerned, your clocks run normally.

Why the slower person see the time of faster person with slower from his time?
Time dilation is one of the consequences of relativity. It is derived, like everything else, from Einstein's postulates: the laws of physics are the same in every inertial frame and the speed of light is the same in every inertial frame.

Since you're obviously interested in relativity, I recommend you get yourself a good tutorial book and work through it, step by step.

Related to Running at Different Speeds: Who Experiences Time Differently?

1. How does running at different speeds affect our perception of time?

Running at different speeds can affect our perception of time because of the phenomenon known as time dilation. This occurs when an object is moving at a high speed, causing time to appear slower for that object compared to a stationary object. This means that someone running at a faster speed will experience time passing slower than someone running at a slower speed.

2. What is the relationship between speed and time dilation?

The relationship between speed and time dilation is directly proportional. This means that as an object's speed increases, its perception of time slows down. This phenomenon was first proposed by Albert Einstein in his theory of relativity and has been proven through various experiments and observations, such as the famous Hafele-Keating experiment.

3. Do all runners experience time dilation at the same rate?

No, not all runners experience time dilation at the same rate. This is because time dilation is dependent on the speed at which an object is moving. Therefore, a person running at a faster speed will experience a greater time dilation compared to someone running at a slower speed. Additionally, the effect of time dilation may also vary for different individuals based on their physical characteristics and overall health.

4. Can running at different speeds have an impact on aging?

Yes, running at different speeds can have an impact on aging. As discussed earlier, time dilation causes time to appear slower for objects in motion. This means that someone running at a faster speed will age slower compared to someone running at a slower speed. This effect is extremely small and only becomes significant at speeds close to the speed of light. However, it has been observed in experiments with particles traveling at high speeds in particle accelerators.

5. Is time dilation only applicable to running or does it occur in other activities as well?

Time dilation is not limited to running and occurs in all activities where an object is in motion. This can include activities such as driving, flying, or even walking. However, the effect of time dilation is only noticeable at extremely high speeds, such as those close to the speed of light. In everyday scenarios, the difference in time perception between different speeds is too small to be noticeable.