Running after a bus. acceleration problem

In summary, the problem is about a person running at a constant velocity towards a stopped bus, which begins accelerating at a low constant rate at a certain distance. The question is about finding the minimum speed the person must run to catch up with the bus. The solution involves setting up equations for both positions in terms of time and solving for the unknown constant velocity.
LearninDaMath

Homework Statement

someone is late for a job interview and is running at a constant velocity toward a stopped bus, at some distance from the bus, the bus begins accelerating as some low constant rate.

What's the minimum speed the person must run to just catch up with the bus?

Homework Equations

no idea

The Attempt at a Solution

I know if I set both position equations equal to each other and solve for time, i'll have the time at which they are both in the same position.

And I know the speed of the bus when the person catches up is just the constant acceleration formula for velocity as a function of time (the specific time being the time at which they are both in the same position)

But, how would I find the minimum speed? I could use trial and error a million times with the above velocity equation and narrow it down with the same methodology as trying to find an exact value calculus intermediate value theorem problem. but that could take an eternity if there are a lot of decimal places. There should be a more efficient way, right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Set up the equations for both positions, that of bus and person, in terms of time. When the person, running with the unknown constant velocity V, catches the bus the positions are the same. Solve for t. What should be V that you get real and positive solution?

ehild

for setting up an equation of motion for each particle, see hyperphysics:
moteq1b.gif

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/mot.html

Related to Running after a bus. acceleration problem

1. What is the acceleration problem when running after a bus?

The acceleration problem when running after a bus refers to the difficulty in increasing your speed to catch up with a bus that is already moving. This requires a significant amount of force and energy from your muscles, which can be challenging to sustain for a prolonged period.

2. Why is it harder to run after a bus compared to starting from a stationary position?

When starting from a stationary position, you have the advantage of utilizing the force of friction between your feet and the ground to propel you forward. However, when running after a bus, you have to overcome both the force of friction and the bus's velocity, making it more difficult.

3. How does the weight of your body affect your ability to catch a moving bus?

The weight of your body plays a crucial role in your ability to catch a moving bus. The more mass you have, the more force you need to accelerate and catch up with the bus. Additionally, carrying extra weight can also slow you down, making it even more challenging to catch the bus.

4. Is it possible to catch a bus that is already moving at a high speed?

It is possible to catch a bus that is already moving at a high speed, but it depends on various factors such as the distance between you and the bus, your speed, and the bus's speed. Generally, the faster the bus is moving, the more challenging it is to catch it.

5. What can be done to improve your chances of catching a bus that is already in motion?

To improve your chances of catching a moving bus, you can try to increase your speed by taking longer strides, pumping your arms, and using your body's momentum. It may also help to plan your route and anticipate the bus's arrival to minimize the distance you need to cover to catch it.