Ruby Goldberg Machine - Improvements/Ideas

In summary, the conversation centers around a project to make a Rube Goldberg Machine within a month. The project is being started early due to its complexity and the person speaking needs help connecting and improving their ideas. The objective of the project is to create a car wash for a Hot Wheels car. Ideas discussed include using a sprayer connected to a rubber band and a pulley system to draw water from a container. The person is seeking advice and feedback from others.
ChromoZoneX
Hey there,

We have a project to make a Ruby Goldberg Machine due in a month.
Due to the complexity of the project we have started early. This would be my first time making something like this and I need help connecting and improving my ideas.

The objective we have decided upon is to give a Hot Wheels car a car wash. My ideas are as follows,
1. Having sprayer spray water on a book so it drops on something
The sprayer will be connected to a rubber band which will be pulled by the force of air from a fan.

Another objective I had in mind was to draw water from a container.

The Idea - Have a pulley and string. One attached to a string that is fixed to a small bucket submerged in water. Two see-saw like devices are assembled so that when a weight falls on one of them, the bucket is raised.

What i need is my start and about 10 steps...I have already started thinking but would like to know your viewpoints too.

A grade 11 student.

Physics news on Phys.org
My only advice is to at least get the guy's name right.

phinds said:
My only advice is to at least get the guy's name right.

I.E.

It's http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rube_Goldberg" .

Last edited by a moderator:
anything more constructive?

I had to go on Wikipedia to understand what a Rube Goldberg project is.
Now, everything is done in the company where I work seems a Rube Goldberg machine.

Related to Ruby Goldberg Machine - Improvements/Ideas

1. How can we make the Ruby Goldberg Machine more efficient?

One way to make the Ruby Goldberg Machine more efficient is to reduce the number of steps or components involved. This can be achieved by simplifying the design and using fewer materials. Additionally, optimizing the placement and timing of each step can also improve efficiency.

2. What are some potential safety concerns with the Ruby Goldberg Machine?

Some potential safety concerns with the Ruby Goldberg Machine include sharp or fragile components that could break or cause injury, the use of electricity or fire, and the potential for the machine to malfunction and cause harm. It is important to carefully consider and address these concerns during the design and testing phases.

3. Are there any ways to make the Ruby Goldberg Machine more environmentally friendly?

Yes, there are several ways to make the Ruby Goldberg Machine more environmentally friendly. One option is to use sustainable or recycled materials in the design. Another is to minimize the use of energy or resources, such as electricity or water, during the operation of the machine. Additionally, incorporating elements of renewable energy, such as solar or wind power, can also make the machine more environmentally friendly.

4. How can we incorporate technology into the Ruby Goldberg Machine?

There are many ways to incorporate technology into the Ruby Goldberg Machine. This could include using sensors, motors, and programming to automate certain steps or trigger specific actions. Another option is to incorporate elements of virtual or augmented reality to enhance the experience of the machine for viewers.

5. What are some creative ways to add complexity to the Ruby Goldberg Machine?

One creative way to add complexity to the Ruby Goldberg Machine is to incorporate multiple paths or branches, creating different outcomes or possibilities. Another option is to add elements of surprise, such as unexpected twists or turns, to keep the audience engaged. Using unconventional materials or incorporating elements of art or music can also add complexity to the machine.