RPM of axle from velocity of car

In summary, the conversation discusses deriving an equation to relate the rpm of an axle fixed to a car wheel of radius r, given the velocity of the car. The equations of angular velocity and angular momentum are mentioned, and the conservation of angular momentum is used to derive the final equation. The summary concludes by stating that the rpm of the axle is higher than the rpm of the car wheel and that the final equation is simply the velocity of the car divided by the wheel radius and then converted to rpm.
picotron

Homework Statement

I have to derive an equation that relates the rpm of an axle that is fixed to a car wheel of radius r, given the velocity of the car

subscripts: w is wheel, a is axle

Homework Equations

angular velocity of the wheel is given by

ω_wheel=2π/T=2πf=v/r_w (1)

The angular momentum of the wheel is given by

L_w=1/2 mr_w^2 ω_w (2)

The Attempt at a Solution

By using the conservation of angular momentum, I get

1/2 mr_w^2 ω_w=1/2 mr_a^2 ω_a

after cancellation I get

(r_w^2)/(r_a^2 ) ω_w=ω_a

substituting in equation (1) above yields

r_w/(r_a^2 ) v=ω_a

then converting the angular velocity of the axle into rpm by dividing the rad/s by 2π and multiplying by 60.

So, by this, the angular velocity of the axle is higher than the angular velocity of the edge of the car wheel.

Is this correct? or is the rpm of the axle the same as the rpm of the car wheel?

Physics news on Phys.org
never mind people I've been getting myself confused.

Clearly it should just be the velocity of the car divided by the wheel radius and then converted to rpm.

Related to RPM of axle from velocity of car

1. How do I calculate the RPM of an axle from the velocity of a car?

In order to calculate the RPM of an axle from the velocity of a car, you will need to know the axle ratio and the tire diameter. Once you have that information, you can use the following formula: RPM = (velocity * axle ratio * 336) / tire diameter.

2. What is the average RPM of a car's axle?

The average RPM of a car's axle can vary depending on the make and model of the car. However, most cars have an average axle RPM of around 1,000-3,000 while driving at highway speeds.

3. How does the RPM of an axle affect a car's performance?

The RPM of an axle is directly related to the speed and power of a car. A higher RPM means the axle is rotating faster, which can result in a faster car with more power. However, a very high RPM can also put strain on the engine and decrease fuel efficiency.

4. Can the RPM of an axle be changed?

Yes, the RPM of an axle can be changed by altering the axle ratio. This can be done by changing the size of the gears in the axle. However, this should only be done by a trained professional as it can greatly affect the performance and safety of the car.

5. How does the RPM of an axle affect fuel efficiency?

The RPM of an axle can greatly affect fuel efficiency. A higher RPM means the engine is working harder and using more fuel. On the other hand, a lower RPM can result in better fuel efficiency as the engine is not working as hard. It is important to find a balance between performance and fuel efficiency when considering the RPM of an axle.