Roy Kerr awarded Einstein Medal

In summary, Professor Roy Kerr was not in the UK when the Kerr solution was discovered, and there is no evidence to support the claim that he rushed to complete his own solution. Additionally, the story of him looking over Newman's shoulder and not pointing out a mistake is false. This story is not supported by any evidence and should not be believed.
Physics news on Phys.org
cosmik debris said:
I heard a story from other relativists who were around at the time of the original Kerr solution that Kerr was in the UK, and was looking over Newman's shoulder when he made a mistake. Newman didn't notice the mistake, and Kerr didn't point it out, but rather rushed to complete his own solution and get it published quick smart in Phys. Rev. Lett.

Can anyone confirm or deny this story?

Newman didn't notice the mistake, and Kerr didn't point it out.
I can't confirm the story, but it's believable that Roy would hesitate to correct Newman!

From http://www-history.mcs.st-andrews.ac.uk/Biographies/Kerr_Roy.html
"
Here is Kerr's own comments taken from [6]:-

Everybody who tried to solve the problem was going at it from the front, but I was trying to solve the equation from a different point of view - there were a number of new mathematical methods coming into relativity at the time and Josh [Goldberg] and I had had some success with these. I was trying to look at the whole structure - the Bianchi identities, the Einstein equations and these Tetrads - to see how they fitted together and it all seemed to be pretty nice and it looked like lots of solutions were going to come out. Then I hit a brick wall. Teddy Newman and Roger Penrose were working on a similar set of methods, but Teddy had come out with this as-yet unpublished theorem that basically 'proved' that my solution couldn't exist! Luckily, my neighbour, who was playing around with relativity, too, got hold of a preprint and I just scanned through it (I'm a lazy reader) and hit the crucial part which proved to me that my solution could exist! After that, I kept working like mad and found the solution in a few weeks.
"

See details in Kerr's "Discovering the Kerr and Kerr-Schild metrics" (pg. 6-7)
http://arxiv.org/abs/0706.1109
(p.7: "
At this point I presented the results at a monthly Relativity conference
held at the Steven’s Institute in Hoboken, N.J. When I told Ted Newman
that (1.1) should have been identically zero, he said that they knew that
n1 was incorrect, but that the value for n2 given in the preprint was a
misprint and so (1.2) was still not satisfied. I replied that since the sum
had to be zero the final term, n3 must also be incorrect. Alan and I
recalculated it that evening, confirming that (1.2) was satisfied.
")

Maybe more details in Melia's "Cracking the Einstein Code: Relativity and the Birth of Black Hole Physics"
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0226519511/?tag=pfamazon01-20(A copy of Kerr's PRL paper
"Gravitational Field of a Spinning Mass as an Example of Algebraically Special Metrics"
http://prl.aps.org/abstract/PRL/v11/i5/p237_1
is linked below [in the last paragraph] of blog entry on how long an econometrics thesis should be...
http://davegiles.blogspot.com/2011/02/how-long-should-my-thesis-be.html
)

Last edited by a moderator:
strangerep said:
I heard a story from other relativists who were around at the time of the original Kerr solution that Kerr was in the UK, and was looking over Newman's shoulder when he made a mistake. Newman didn't notice the mistake, and Kerr didn't point it out, but rather rushed to complete his own solution and get it published quick smart in Phys. Rev. Lett.

Can anyone confirm or deny this story?

I work at the University of Canterbury where Roy was head of the Maths dept for many years. We were discussing the award at morning tea, (do you people have morning tea?), and someone related this story, I hadn't heard it before.

cosmik debris said:
do you people have morning tea?
I always have morning tea, but I've never been in Canterbury. :-)

Roy Kerr's reply
1) I was in Austin Tx when the metric was discovered, not in the UK
2) Newmann was somewhere out East
3)I had never heard this story before, but it is complete nonsense.

Related to Roy Kerr awarded Einstein Medal

1. Who is Roy Kerr?

Roy Kerr is a New Zealand mathematician and physicist who is best known for his discovery of the Kerr metric, which describes the gravitational field of a rotating black hole.

2. What is the Einstein Medal?

The Einstein Medal is an award given by the Albert Einstein Society in Bern, Switzerland to recognize outstanding scientific achievements in the field of physics.

3. When was Roy Kerr awarded the Einstein Medal?

Roy Kerr was awarded the Einstein Medal in 2013 for his groundbreaking work on the Kerr metric and its implications for our understanding of black holes.

4. How did Roy Kerr's work impact the field of physics?

Roy Kerr's work revolutionized our understanding of black holes and their properties, providing a crucial tool for studying these mysterious objects. His discoveries have had a profound impact on the field of physics and continue to influence research in this area.

5. What other awards has Roy Kerr received?

In addition to the Einstein Medal, Roy Kerr has also been awarded the Hughes Medal, the Crafoord Prize, and the Einstein Medal of the Society for Natural Philosophy. He has also been recognized with numerous honorary degrees from universities around the world.