Can joined religious leaders bring a solution?

• News
  • Thread starter pelastration
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is discussing the potential impact of a Conference of Religious World Leaders in addressing the conflicts between the extremist groups in the US and the Islamic world. It is acknowledged that religious leaders have influence over their followers and can potentially play a role in finding solutions to these issues. However, there are concerns about the power of extremist leaders like Osama bin Laden and the potential for moderate leaders to shift public opinion in favor of the US. There is also a discussion about the threats to freedom and progress posed by all religions, and the potential dangers of a united effort towards world domination.
pelastration
I just asked myself if a serious message of a Conference of Religious World Leaders could make a difference. I know some years ago we had something similar, but the message was not that powerful. A retry?

I see now a self-powering circle of violence. The beheading was predictable. This is a new individual drama on one of the sides, but there are many of drama's.

On the two sides you have extremes, both choose the violent way, each with a proper agenda and strategy.

The newcons in the US and the Islamic extremists on the other side.

This is not the 'clash of civilizations' but the 'clash of extremists'.

In a newcon document of 2000 http://www.newamericancentury.org/RebuildingAmericasDefenses.pdf you can read that the unresolved conflict with Iraq provides the "immediate justification", (but that) the need for a substantial American force presence in the Gulf "transcends the issue of the regime of Saddam Hussein". 9/11 was the trigger, not the reason. And the revenges God of the newborn Christians was also involved.

The other side - easily called Al-Qaeda - have primary religious reasons which transcends civil issues and values. The goal is a religious society were individual rights are less important. For them it is important to have powerful show-cases like 9/11 and Berg's execution.

Where are the moderated voices of both sides or better ... of the joined religious world leaders?

Would such a Conference make a difference in your opinion?

Physics news on Phys.org
First, what right does any religious leader have to present any form of guidance for anyone?

Adam said:
First, what right does any religious leader have to present any form of guidance for anyone?

Top religious leaders happen to have an influence on "their" people. And they have a sort of morale authority.

Adam said:

Do you have a point?

I'll make it simpler: Apart from the "We're all sheep" response, why look to those people for any sort of guidance?

Adam said:
I'll make it simpler: Apart from the "We're all sheep" response, why look to those people for any sort of guidance?
Because, despite your constant reminder of how you are against religion, these leaders hold a viable power of morals within certain groups.
The shiite leader (damn, I can't remember his name) in Iraq is the main reason we are able to operate so smoothly in much of the country. He could wave his hand and we'd have falluja x100 if he wanted. Religious leaders have also negotiated the release of many hostages.

I am aware that religious leaders have power over their followers. The questions was: Should they?

phatmonky said:
Because, despite your constant reminder of how you are against religion, these leaders hold a viable power of morals within certain groups.
The shiite leader (damn, I can't remember his name) in Iraq is the main reason we are able to operate so smoothly in much of the country. He could wave his hand and we'd have falluja x100 if he wanted. Religious leaders have also negotiated the release of many hostages.
Indeed. You see also how the moderate clerics in Najaf pressing al-Sadr out.

That shiite leader: Ali Sistani
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/3033306.stm

His site:http://www.sistani.org/html/eng/main/index.php?page=1&part=1.

Last edited by a moderator:
Adam said:
I am aware that religious leaders have power over their followers. The questions was: Should they?
Wrong question, maybe good question in another thread.
They have.
Real question: So can we do something with that to solve some serious actual problems?

pelastration said:
Real question: So can we do something with that to solve some serious actual problems?

Absolutely! We should already be in meetings with these moderate clerics finding out "What is it that we can do for you?"

but the foreign fighters' religious leader is Osama.
I think the moderate ones could shift popular opinion in favor of the Americans. But do they want to, and how clearly can you think with all the bombs going off

I'm aware of no religious leader named Osama.

Adam said:
I'm aware of no religious leader named Osama.
Usama, if you will then.

I'm not aware of a religious leader named Usama either.

BTW what is the real difference in farrightwing religious nuts be they taliban, ortho jew, or bible thumping christian, in the overall threat to freedom and progress of civilrights
all hate gays
all want to censor, movies, books, music ect
all have sex hangups
all want to control goverments to shape laws to suit their religions ideas
all are anti-womans rights
all are anti-abortion
all think anyone not in their CULT is evil

the threat to freedom from religion is the root problem, not just one religion all are evil
so the last thing we want is for them all to get together and work on their common goal

1. Can joined religious leaders bring a solution to global conflicts?

There is no simple answer to this question as it depends on various factors such as the specific conflict, the leaders involved, and the willingness of all parties to come to a resolution. However, bringing together religious leaders from different faiths can potentially foster understanding, promote peace-building efforts, and encourage dialogue and cooperation among conflicting groups.

2. How can religious leaders work together to bring about a solution?

Religious leaders can work together by promoting interfaith dialogue, advocating for peace and reconciliation, and offering spiritual guidance and support to those affected by the conflict. They can also use their influence and platforms to bring attention to the issue and call for action from political leaders and the international community.

3. What are the challenges of involving religious leaders in conflict resolution?

Some challenges include the potential for religious leaders to be biased towards their own faith or to have conflicting beliefs and values. There may also be political and cultural barriers that hinder effective collaboration. Additionally, religious leaders may face resistance or backlash from their own communities for engaging in peace-building efforts with leaders of other faiths.

4. Has there been any successful example of religious leaders bringing about a solution to a conflict?

Yes, there have been several successful examples of religious leaders playing a crucial role in conflict resolution. For instance, the Interfaith Mediation Centre in Nigeria, led by Christian and Muslim leaders, has successfully brokered peace deals in several inter-religious conflicts in the country. The Community of Sant'Egidio, a Catholic lay community, has also been instrumental in mediating peace talks in various conflicts around the world.

5. What are some potential benefits of involving religious leaders in conflict resolution?

Bringing together religious leaders can provide a unique perspective and approach to conflict resolution, as they can offer spiritual and moral guidance, promote empathy and forgiveness, and foster a sense of community and shared humanity among conflicting groups. Involving religious leaders can also help to address underlying religious or cultural issues that may be fueling the conflict. Overall, their involvement can contribute to sustainable and long-lasting peace initiatives.