Rediscovering Childhood Treasures - A Nostalgic Moment

• Thread starter Monique
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Moment
In summary: Some kids get more than others, but everyone gets a gift. Originally posted by Adam The worst is when you're sitting under a tree at an outdoor cafe and you don't notice that a bird dropped something in your beer until after you take a drink and wonder "what the hell is in my mouth?"Anyway, back to the subject. Christmas is for kids of ALL ages! I am sad that you did not get a Christmas present Monique. :frown:Originally posted by Sonty
Monique
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Anyone ever found some old stuff from your childhood and though: now THAT is nice?

I just found a piece of paper from when I must've been around 6.. a song written by one of St. Nicolas' helpers (similar to Christmas), who recites all the bad stuff the kids in class had been doing in that past year.

I was reading it and thought: I'm not in it :( ..
I come to the end and there it is "monique: I think you are a very sweet girl, you'll probably get all the presents you've asked for."

all together: *ahhh* I didn't get any presents this year though :(

Physics news on Phys.org
Why no presents?

It's a children's holiday, during the whole month of November you'll get a present in your shoe in the morning

I used to have a cat that left presents in shoes overnight...

Originally posted by Adam
I used to have a cat that left presents in shoes overnight...
I can relate. That is one of the WORST ways to start a day...

Originally posted by Tsunami
I can relate. That is one of the WORST ways to start a day...

Its just as bad as exiting the house with a cup of hot chocolate and having a bird dive-bomb a turd into it.

Originally posted by motai
Its just as bad as exiting the house with a cup of hot chocolate and having a bird dive-bomb a turd into it.
GRODY! (Did it look like a melted marshmallow floating on the top?)

Children's holiday, huh? Who are you kidding? It's the first time I see this Sinterklaas thing going on and I got to see 25 year old people painting thair faces, I learned to duck while the helpers were throwing candy at me and laughed my ass off at the rumours the helpers were telling Sinterklaas. Oh, yeah, the spanish had no idea about the story and the song was hilarious. A wonderful experience though. I'm sorry I didn't remember to write a letter. I got a present though: I saw americans trying to speak dutch. That was gorgeous. In 3 months I got to the point of almost understanding this language, but I don't yet get the courage to open my mouth and utter more than 2-3 words. What are the helpers called again?

Originally posted by motai

The worst is when you're sitting under a tree at an outdoor cafe and you don't notice that a bird dropped something in your beer until after you take a drink and wonder "what the hell is in my mouth?"

Anyway, back to the subject. Christmas is for kids of ALL ages! I am sad that you did not get a Christmas present Monique. :frown:

Originally posted by Sonty
Children's holiday, huh? Who are you kidding? It's the first time I see this Sinterklaas thing going on and I got to see 25 year old people painting thair faces, I learned to duck while the helpers were throwing candy at me and laughed my ass off at the rumours the helpers were telling Sinterklaas. Oh, yeah, the spanish had no idea about the story and the song was hilarious. A wonderful experience though. I'm sorry I didn't remember to write a letter. I got a present though: I saw americans trying to speak dutch. That was gorgeous. In 3 months I got to the point of almost understanding this language, but I don't yet get the courage to open my mouth and utter more than 2-3 words. What are the helpers called again?
Yeah, he is actually Turkish, but since the boat came around the corner at Spain, people started telling he is from Spain The helpers throwing candy at you huh? Yeah, that is what they do.. the story goes that they used to throw money in poor people's houses, that is where the tradition comes from..

The helpers? They are called 'zwarte pieten', translates into 'black Pete's', they paint their faces black and ware funky outfits and climb up buildings and such.. yeah, they are actually black slaves of a white bishop.. some people have a problem with that, I think that is nosense.

Sinterklaas is actually the tradition where Santa Claus originated from, the Dutch brought the tradition to the US, where it took up an identity of its own.

And yeah it IS a childrens holiday. I actually believed in the existence of that man, all children did (do).

He comes with his boat from Spain (which is a really big day, he ACTUALLY arrives in a boat and welcomes all the kids in the harbor, there is the same person who plays him every year) and every night he comes over the roof tops on his *white* horse and brings a small present into your shoe for a month, BUT you DO have to sing a song every night, otherwise the shoe stays empty.

At the end of the month he returns to spain, takes any kids with him in a bag, who have been naughty. That night is actually the night that the bishop died, it is celebrated big where at night a stranger knocks on the door, the kid opens it and finds a HUGE bag filled with presents..

Ah.. if only I were young again..

1. What is the significance of rediscovering childhood treasures?

Rediscovering childhood treasures allows us to reconnect with cherished memories and experiences from our past. It can bring a sense of joy, nostalgia, and even comfort as we reflect on our childhood and the things that were important to us.

2. How does rediscovering childhood treasures impact our well-being?

Research has shown that revisiting childhood treasures can have a positive impact on our well-being. It can evoke feelings of happiness, reduce stress and anxiety, and improve overall mood and outlook on life.

3. What are some common childhood treasures that people rediscover?

Some common childhood treasures that people often rediscover include toys, books, photos, diaries or journals, music, and even certain scents or smells that bring back memories. These items hold sentimental value and remind us of specific moments in our childhood.

4. Can rediscovering childhood treasures be therapeutic?

Yes, rediscovering childhood treasures can have therapeutic benefits. It can help us process and make sense of our past, and even provide closure for traumatic or difficult experiences. It can also serve as a form of self-care and bring a sense of comfort and happiness.

5. How can we incorporate rediscovering childhood treasures into our lives?

There are many ways to incorporate rediscovering childhood treasures into our lives. Some ideas include setting aside time to go through old items and memories, organizing a childhood-themed movie or game night with friends or family, creating a scrapbook or memory box, or simply taking a walk down memory lane and reflecting on past experiences.