Google GMail Problem: Firewall & JavaScript Issue

• Thread starter aychamo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Google
In summary, a user is having trouble accessing their Gmail account while running ZoneAlarm firewall. They suspect it may be a JavaScript issue and have found a solution by adjusting the privacy settings on ZoneAlarm. The conversation then shifts to discussing the reliability and security of ZoneAlarm and suggesting alternative firewall options.
aychamo
Hey guys

I'm having problems accessing my Google GMail account while running my firewall. When I have my firewall loaded (ZoneAlarm), I try to log-in to my GMail account (which I know uses JavaScript, if this matters) and I get a screen saying "Loading.." and then the word disappears, and I just get a white page because the Google GMail page fails to load (but I don't get a server error, it is just the page not displaying fully). I think this is a JavaScript issue maybe? Because as soon as I close my firewall, GMail works fine.

Any clues? :-)

Incidently, does anyone have a GMail account invitation left over?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Ok, I found this solution online, it worked for me:

Thanks Hoov. It was a privacy issue. I thought I had tried everything previously. So this time I opened the Privacy page on ZAPro and turned off Cookies and Ads, and emptied the cache. Then I logged on to Gmail and was able to access my inbox. So I copied the URL and pasted it into the "Add" option on the ZAPro Privacy page "site List" tab. Then I logged out and in again on Gmail. Went back to ZAPro and moved the Privacy sliders on the Main tab for Cookies and Ads to Med(ium). Did this on 3 different computers - all with ZA Pro and with W98se, W2K and WXP respectively. Works fine now. Any variation in the above and it did not work. so that 's the solution. The free version of ZA has no problems with the site.

i am having the same problem except i don't have zone alarm running.

Zone Alarm is horrible. Get Outpost or Tiny.

The_Professional said:
Zone Alarm is horrible. Get Outpost or Tiny.

Why is ZoneAlarm horrible, and why are the others better?

Zone Alarm is horrible.

http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,116015,pg,5,00.asp

Dagenais said:
http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,116015,pg,5,00.asp

And you believe everything you read on the Internet too

Last edited:
The_Professional said:

Well, you have given absolutely no reason for us to believe what you have claimed. I would put infinitely more trust into PCWorlds article, than your claim which is backed up by absolutely nothing.

The_Professional said:

It was actually in their magazine, on an annual article they've been doing for 22 years.

Their panal of judges are certainly more qualified than most people here. And like mentioned before, you have yet to give a reason for your comments.

I hate to contribute to the derailing of this thread, but I can't resist responding. I have to agree that ZoneAlarm is lacking in the security department. Here are several reasons:
-It takes up resources on the host computer.
-It runs on the same computer it's protecting. (Opens up problems such as virus disables software then takes over connection).
-It's bloated. What's with all these http://images.six.betanews.com/screenshots/1023106281-1.jpg [Broken]? Just protect my computer without the bloat. (Again, this leads back to problem one. Resource hogging).

If you want a serious firewall create a dedicated firewall such as Smoothwall (http://www.smoothwall.org). This eliminates all of those issues and is much more secure. Oh, and I forgot to mention it's open source and therefore free. This also means you can customise it to fit your needs. In fact there are MANY homebrew customizations for this firewall making it VERY flexible.

As for the Gmail problem, that happens to me sometimes too (even without zonealarm) at seemingly random times. But give them a break, it's still in the beta stages.

Last edited by a moderator:
Spymac offers a 1GB account for free, no invitations needed, and no bots that read your mail as in Gmail.

hbar, smoothwall is a network firewall requiring a dedicated machine to run on, it is not a personal (desktop) firewall.
Personally, I use Kerio Personal Firewall. It is also freeware, and I have never had any problems with it. Last year it was tested Best Firewall in c't, Germany's foremost PC magazine.

Last edited:
Moe said:
smoothwall is a network firewall requiring a dedicated machine to run on
yup, that's what I said
HBar said:
If you want a serious firewall create a dedicated firewall such as Smoothwall
That's exactly why it eliminates all of those problems. I'm running it right now and it's protecting all 5 boxes on my network plus a webserver in the DMZ.

Your answer is not applicable for people with a single non-networked PC only.

No one ever asked for a solution that only works with "single non-networked PC." My claim still stands that there are better options than ZoneAlarm, such as Smoothwall.

HBar said:
I hate to contribute to the derailing of this thread, but I can't resist responding. I have to agree that ZoneAlarm is lacking in the security department. Here are several reasons:
-It takes up resources on the host computer.
-It runs on the same computer it's protecting. (Opens up problems such as virus disables software then takes over connection).
-It's bloated. What's with all these http://images.six.betanews.com/screenshots/1023106281-1.jpg [Broken]? Just protect my computer without the bloat. (Again, this leads back to problem one. Resource hogging).

If you want a serious firewall create a dedicated firewall such as Smoothwall (http://www.smoothwall.org). This eliminates all of those issues and is much more secure. Oh, and I forgot to mention it's open source and therefore free. This also means you can customise it to fit your needs. In fact there are MANY homebrew customizations for this firewall making it VERY flexible.

As for the Gmail problem, that happens to me sometimes too (even without zonealarm) at seemingly random times. But give them a break, it's still in the beta stages.

It's funny that you consider ZoneAlarm's graphics as bloat, but the fact the other firewall takes up an *entire pc* isn't bloat?

I also got the loading page after which it would blank. What I did is search for gmail with the google cache. And there is says that my version of my browser (at work) was not up to date and that I needed to follow the link and download a newer one. It worked fine after that.

Monique said:
I also got the loading page after which it would blank. What I did is search for gmail with the google cache. And there is says that my version of my browser (at work) was not up to date and that I needed to follow the link and download a newer one. It worked fine after that.
Give you a hint which I think may be the main reason...(I said may, not should or would) (smile)
Go to your tools--options if your browser is IE/Fox, then Connecting Settings, and then just click "Direct Connection to the Internet", things would be fine then..(:tongue2:)

aychamo said:
It's funny that you consider ZoneAlarm's graphics as bloat, but the fact the other firewall takes up an *entire pc* isn't bloat?
Bloat is different that how much resources a firewall takes up. I consider "bloat" to be unnecessary items (i.e. the graphics). SmoothWall is a very stripped down version of linux. It has a custom kernel compiled specifically for it and has all unnecessary programs taken out of it. So, SmoothWall actually has almost no bloat. Also, sacrificing a single PC for my entire network is no loss to me.

Last edited:
Try this:
http://download.kerio.com/dwn/kpf4-en-win.exe [Broken]

I get the loading error using safari all the time. None of the other browsers are affected. Safari is still pretty buggy with gmail.
Btw, i haven't gotten invites to give away in a long time now... must've been a week.

1. What is a firewall and how does it affect my Google GMail account?

A firewall is a security system that monitors and controls incoming and outgoing network traffic. It acts as a barrier between your computer and the internet, preventing unauthorized access and protecting your data. If your firewall is configured to block certain types of traffic, it may prevent you from accessing your Google GMail account.

2. Why am I seeing a JavaScript error message when trying to access my Google GMail account?

JavaScript is a programming language commonly used in web development. Many websites, including Google GMail, use JavaScript to create interactive and dynamic features. If there is an error in the JavaScript code, it may prevent the website from functioning properly. This could be due to a problem with your browser, network connection, or an issue on Google's end.

3. How can I troubleshoot firewall and JavaScript issues with Google GMail?

If you are experiencing firewall or JavaScript issues with Google GMail, there are several steps you can take to troubleshoot the problem. First, check your internet connection to make sure it is stable. Next, try accessing GMail from a different browser or device. If the issue persists, you may need to adjust your firewall settings or clear your browser's cache and cookies. You can also check the GMail Help Center for any known issues or outages.

4. Can I disable my firewall to access my Google GMail account?

While disabling your firewall may allow you to access your Google GMail account, it is not recommended. Firewalls are an important security measure and disabling them can leave your computer vulnerable to cyber attacks. Instead, try adjusting your firewall settings to allow GMail to be accessed. You can also reach out to your IT department or internet service provider for assistance.

5. What should I do if I continue to have problems accessing my GMail account despite troubleshooting?

If you have followed the steps to troubleshoot firewall and JavaScript issues and are still unable to access your Google GMail account, you may need to contact Google's customer support. They will be able to assist you further and provide any necessary solutions to resolve the problem.