Rotational & Translational Energy

In summary, a solid, uniform, spherical boulder starts from rest and rolls down a 50.0-m high hill. The top half of the hill is rough and causes the boulder to roll without slipping, while the lower half is covered with ice and has no friction. The translational speed of the boulder when it reaches the bottom of the hill is 26.46 m/s, which is found using the conservation of energy principle. In the first half of the hill, both translational and rotational kinetic energy increases, but in the second half, only translational kinetic energy increases. The mass of the boulder is not needed to solve this problem. Simply set the initial potential energy at the top equal to the combined kinetic
mschoen
A solid, uniform, spherical boulder starts from rest and rolls down a 50.0-m high hill. The to half of the hill is rough enough to cause the boulder to roll without slipping, but the lower half is covered with ice and there is no friction. Wat is the translational speed of the boulder when it reaches the bottom of the hill?

Attempt at solving: Energy is conserved, so the potential energy (mgh) at the top is equal to the combination of the kinetic and translational energy as it rolls down the rough part. Solving for that, I get v = sqrt(10/7*gh), or v = 26.46 m/s. But that's only part of the problem, and I'm not sure what to do next. It would seem to me the energy on the icy part is only translational, not rotational, and maybe the eqn would be 26.46 m/s = 1/2*m*v2^2, but mass is not given. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
In each part, the loss in PE equals the increase in KE. In the first have, the KE is shared between translational and rotational KE. But in the second half, only the translational KE increases. (You don't need the mass.)

How exactly do you solve this, though? I keep getting a velocity value that is off by quite a bit.

Do you set 0.5mv^2 = the KE at the halfway point as well as the PE at the halfway point?

It does not work.

Related to Rotational & Translational Energy

1. What is rotational energy?

Rotational energy is the energy an object possesses due to its rotation around a fixed axis. It is typically calculated using the formula E = 1/2Iω^2, where I is the moment of inertia and ω is the angular velocity.

2. How is rotational energy different from translational energy?

Translational energy is the energy an object possesses due to its movement in a straight line. It is typically calculated using the formula E = 1/2mv^2, where m is the mass of the object and v is its velocity. Rotational energy and translational energy are different because they involve different types of motion - rotation and linear movement, respectively.

3. How are rotational and translational energy related?

Rotational and translational energy are related through the concept of kinetic energy. An object that is both rotating and moving in a straight line possesses both rotational and translational kinetic energy. The total kinetic energy of the object is the sum of its rotational and translational kinetic energy.

4. Can rotational energy be converted into translational energy?

Yes, rotational energy can be converted into translational energy. This is known as the principle of conservation of energy, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but can only be converted from one form to another. For example, energy from a spinning top can be transferred into translational energy when it starts moving in a straight line.

5. How does rotational energy affect an object's stability?

The amount of rotational energy an object possesses can affect its stability. Objects with a lower moment of inertia (i.e. less resistance to rotation) are more stable and require less energy to rotate. Conversely, objects with a higher moment of inertia are less stable and require more energy to rotate. This is why tops and bicycles have a low moment of inertia, making them easier to rotate and maintain their balance.