Rotational Transitions: What Are They?

• I
  • Thread starter john t
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rotational
In summary, rotational transitions are changes in the rotational energy levels of a molecule, caused by the absorption or emission of a photon. They occur through collisions or exposure to electromagnetic radiation and provide important information about a molecule's structure and properties. Rotational transitions are observed using spectroscopy techniques and can be affected by factors such as the molecule's mass, shape, and chemical bonds, as well as temperature and external magnetic fields.
john t
I read recently about rotational transitions being detected by radio telescopic spectroscopy for a substituted benzene in a gal cloud a ways away. My question is what is a rotational transition. I think it is a quantized change in angular momentum, but I'd like to picture it physically. Is it basically a change in angular velocity at a given mass?

Physics news on Phys.org
john t said:
Is it basically a change in angular velocity at a given mass?
Yes.

Likes bhobba

Related to Rotational Transitions: What Are They?

1. What are rotational transitions?

Rotational transitions are changes in the rotational energy levels of a molecule, typically caused by the absorption or emission of a photon of electromagnetic radiation.

2. How do rotational transitions occur?

Rotational transitions occur when a molecule absorbs or emits a photon that corresponds to the energy difference between two rotational levels. This can happen through collisions with other molecules or through exposure to electromagnetic radiation.

3. What is the significance of rotational transitions?

Rotational transitions provide important information about the structure and properties of molecules. By studying the frequencies and intensities of rotational transitions, scientists can determine the rotational constants and moments of inertia of a molecule, which can help in identifying the molecule and its properties.

4. How are rotational transitions observed?

Rotational transitions can be observed through spectroscopy techniques such as microwave spectroscopy or infrared spectroscopy. These techniques measure the absorption or emission of radiation by a molecule, which can then be used to determine the rotational transitions.

5. What factors affect rotational transitions?

The energy levels and frequencies of rotational transitions are affected by factors such as the mass, shape, and chemical bonds of a molecule. Temperature and external magnetic fields can also influence rotational transitions.