Rotational Statics Of A Balance Beam

In summary, the gymnast has a mass of 48 kg and stands on a balance beam with a mass of 121 kg and length of 5 m. The beam is supported by two supports, with each being 1/3 of the way from the ends. The net force and net torque on the system is zero. To solve for the force exerted by the left support on the beam, one can use torques and choose the left support as the rotational reference point.
mrshappy0

Homework Statement

A gymnast with mass m1 = 48 kg is on a balance beam that sits on (but is not attached to) two supports. The beam has a mass m2 = 121 kg and length L = 5 m. Each support is 1/3 of the way from each end. Initially the gymnast stands at the left end of the beam.
1)What is the force the left support exerts on the beam?

Homework Equations

F=ma=o
T=Iang.acc=o

The Attempt at a Solution

So I just solved a problem where I solved for the tension in a string holding up a beam attached to a wall...etc. I am not really sure how to transfer the same equations to this situation. So far I know that the net force and net torque on the system is zero. So for example I know that a hinge in the other problem acts a net force of Mass of the beam by the gravity. Not really sure what formula to use for the beams.

Physics news on Phys.org
mrshappy0 said:

Homework Statement

A gymnast with mass m1 = 48 kg is on a balance beam that sits on (but is not attached to) two supports. The beam has a mass m2 = 121 kg and length L = 5 m. Each support is 1/3 of the way from each end. Initially the gymnast stands at the left end of the beam.
1)What is the force the left support exerts on the beam?

Homework Equations

F=ma=o
T=Iang.acc=o

The Attempt at a Solution

So I just solved a problem where I solved for the tension in a string holding up a beam attached to a wall...etc. I am not really sure how to transfer the same equations to this situation. So far I know that the net force and net torque on the system is zero. So for example I know that a hinge in the other problem acts a net force of Mass of the beam by the gravity. Not really sure what formula to use for the beams.

You can indeed use torques, and take them about any point you choose.

All you need is the size of the force, and the distance from its [effective] point of action to your chosen reference point.

Since you don't know the force provided by either support - choosing one of them as you rotational reference is the most logical.

Related to Rotational Statics Of A Balance Beam

What is rotational statics?

Rotational statics is a branch of mechanics that deals with the equilibrium of objects that are subject to rotational forces. In other words, it focuses on the balance and stability of objects that can rotate around a fixed point.

How is rotational statics applied to a balance beam?

In rotational statics, the balance beam is treated as a rigid body that is subjected to external forces and torques. By analyzing the forces acting on the beam and the distribution of its mass, we can determine its equilibrium position and stability.

What factors affect the rotational statics of a balance beam?

The length, mass, and distribution of mass along the beam, as well as the location and magnitude of external forces and torques, all affect the rotational statics of a balance beam. These factors can be manipulated to achieve a desired balance and stability.

How is the center of mass important in rotational statics?

The center of mass is a crucial concept in rotational statics, as it is the point at which the beam can be considered to be balanced. By understanding the location of the center of mass and how it is affected by different factors, we can analyze the equilibrium and stability of the balance beam.

What are some real-life applications of rotational statics of a balance beam?

Rotational statics of a balance beam has various applications in engineering, sports, and everyday life. It is used to design structures that can withstand rotational forces, such as bridges and cranes. In sports, it is applied in the design of gymnastics equipment and balancing acts. Additionally, understanding rotational statics can help us maintain balance while carrying objects or performing daily tasks.