Rotational physics conceptual questions

Therefore, the force exerted by the ground on the tires must also be in the forward direction in order for the car to accelerate. For 3, remember that the moment of inertia is a measure of how difficult it is to rotate an object. Therefore, increasing the moment of inertia of the front tire would make it more difficult for the motorcycle to accelerate, resulting in a decrease in acceleration.
MozAngeles

Homework Statement

A motorcycle accelerates from rest, and both tires rotate without slipping.
1. Is the force exerted by the ground on the rear tire in the forward or backward direction?explain.
2. Is the force exerted by the ground on the front tire in the forward or backward direction? explain
3. If the moment of inertia of the front tire is increased, will the motorcycle's acceleration increase, decrease, or remain the same?explain
any help would be nice please :)) thankssss

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

1. I put...forward because The frictional force is acting on the tire in the forward direction to keep it from slipping.
2.forward for the same reason
3.decrease because the bigger the moment of inertia the slower it will go
i don't know it my answers and or reasoning are right.. Can someone steer me in the right direction.

Physics news on Phys.org
You're exactly right on all three.

Another way to think about 1 and 2: the reason why the car accelerates is because the external force (friction from the ground) is exerted in the forward direction.

Related to Rotational physics conceptual questions

1. What is rotational motion?

Rotational motion is the movement of an object around an axis or center point. It involves the rotation of an object, rather than its linear movement.

2. How is rotational motion different from linear motion?

Rotational motion involves the rotation of an object around an axis, while linear motion involves the movement of an object in a straight line. Additionally, rotational motion is described using different variables such as angular velocity and moment of inertia, while linear motion is described using variables such as velocity and acceleration.

3. What is angular velocity?

Angular velocity is a measure of how quickly an object is rotating around an axis. It is typically measured in radians per second (rad/s) and is calculated by dividing the change in angular displacement by the change in time.

4. What is moment of inertia?

Moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion. It is dependent on both the mass and the distribution of mass in an object, as well as the axis of rotation. It is typically denoted by the symbol "I" and is measured in units of kilogram meter squared (kg·m²).

5. How is rotational motion related to torque?

Torque is a measure of the force that causes an object to rotate around an axis. It is directly proportional to the force applied and the distance from the axis of rotation. Rotational motion is dependent on the amount of torque applied to an object, as well as its moment of inertia.