Rotational Motion (should be easy-need quick tip)

In summary, Rotational Motion refers to the movement of an object around an axis or center point. It is governed by principles such as angular velocity, torque, and moment of inertia. Objects in rotational motion experience centripetal force, which keeps them in circular motion. Understanding rotational motion is crucial in many fields, including engineering, physics, and mechanics.
mistymoon_38

Homework Statement

A car starts from rest and moves around a circular, horizontal, level track of radius 30 m. Its speed increases at the constant rate of 0.5 m/s^2. (a) What is the magnitude of the net acceleration 15 s later? (b) What angle does the net acceleration make with the car's velocity at this time?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I got part A. I just found the vector sum of of the centripetal accleration, V^2/R (found V by taking integral of 0.5 from 0-15s), and the given tangental accereration of 0.5.
Does this sound right?
As for part B I have no idea. I don't think I can use constant acceleration kinematic equations...

Also- is there a difference between the angular acceleration and the net acceleration?

Physics news on Phys.org
For B you know the components of the acceleration. All you need to do is find the angle between the tangential acceleration and the resultant or net acceleration.

Yes angular acceleration is different to the net acceleration. This page may be of use to you.

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/HBASE/rotq.html#drot

thanks i think i got it now.

Related to Rotational Motion (should be easy-need quick tip)

1. What is rotational motion?

Rotational motion is the movement of an object around an axis or a fixed point. This type of motion can be seen in everyday objects such as a spinning top, a rolling ball, or a rotating fan.

2. What causes rotational motion?

Rotational motion is caused by a force acting on an object that is not directly in line with the object's center of mass. This force creates a torque, or a rotational force, which causes the object to rotate around an axis.

3. How is rotational motion measured?

Rotational motion is measured using angular displacement, which is the change in an object's orientation around an axis. This can be measured in degrees or radians. The rate of change of angular displacement, known as angular velocity, is also used to measure rotational motion.

4. What is the difference between linear and rotational motion?

Linear motion is the movement of an object in a straight line, while rotational motion is the movement of an object around an axis. In linear motion, the position, velocity, and acceleration of an object can be described by its displacement, speed, and acceleration. In rotational motion, these quantities are described using angular displacement, angular velocity, and angular acceleration.

5. How is rotational motion applied in real life?

Rotational motion is applied in various real-life scenarios, such as the motion of wheels on a car, the movement of gears in a clock, and the spinning of a bicycle wheel. It is also used in sports, such as throwing a ball or swinging a bat, and in machines like turbines and engines.