Rotational Motion of a pendulum

In summary, using the given equations and variables, the rotational speed of the bob as a function of the changing angle θ is ((2ghl(cosθ - cosθi))^(1/2))/l. This may need to be simplified further by entering the trigonometric functions as cos(θ) and removing the h from the numerator.
xxphysics

Homework Statement

A pendulum is made of a bob dangling from a lightweight string of length ℓ. The bob is pulled sideways so that the string makes an angle θi with respect to the vertical, then released.

As it swings down, what is the rotational speed of the bob as a function of the changing angle θ? Use the notation l for the length of the string ℓ.
Express your answer in terms of the the variables m, l, θ, θi, and acceleration due to gravity g.

Homework Equations

h = l(cosθ - cosθi)
v=(2gh)^1/2
w = v/l

The Attempt at a Solution

I got w = ((2ghl(cosθ - cosθi))^(1/2))/l , but that was not correct. Are my equations wrong? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
xxphysics said:
I got w = ((2ghl(cosθ - cosθi))^(1/2))/l
How come there is still an h in there?

haruspex said:
How come there is still an h in there?
oh sorry ignore that. I entered it without it

xxphysics said:
oh sorry ignore that. I entered it without it
Then your answer looks ok to me. Do you know what the official answer is? Or do you enter it into a software package that simply says yes or no? If the second, maybe you need to simplify it a bit by cancellation, leaving l in the denominator only.

haruspex said:
Then your answer looks ok to me. Do you know what the official answer is? Or do you enter it into a software package that simply says yes or no? If the second, maybe you need to simplify it a bit by cancellation, leaving l in the denominator only.
I enter it on the computer. It gave me the hint "The correct answer involves the variable \texttip{\theta _}{theta_}, which was not part of your answer.", but I guess my computer isn't able to read that portion of the tip ? Not sure, but thank you

haruspex said:
How would you simplify it further since for the numerator the square root needs to be taken ?

xxphysics said:
I enter it on the computer. It gave me the hint "The correct answer involves the variable \texttip{\theta _}{theta_}, which was not part of your answer.", but I guess my computer isn't able to read that portion of the tip ? Not sure, but thank you
Sounds like it needs you to enter it as cos(θ) etc., not cosθ. Or maybe you did.
xxphysics said:
How would you simplify it further since for the numerator the square root needs to be taken ?
√x/x=1/√x

Related to Rotational Motion of a pendulum

What is a pendulum?

A pendulum is a weight that is suspended from a fixed point and can swing back and forth under the influence of gravity. It is often used as a timekeeping device in clocks.

What is the period of a pendulum?

The period of a pendulum is the amount of time it takes for one complete swing (or oscillation) from one side to the other and back again. It is affected by the length of the pendulum, the mass of the weight, and the acceleration due to gravity.

What is the relationship between the length of a pendulum and its period?

The relationship between the length of a pendulum and its period is known as the "pendulum equation". It states that the period is directly proportional to the square root of the length of the pendulum. This means that as the length of the pendulum increases, the period also increases.

How does the angle of release affect the motion of a pendulum?

The angle of release (or amplitude) does not affect the period of a pendulum, but it does affect the maximum height the pendulum reaches and the speed at which it swings. The larger the angle, the higher and faster the pendulum will swing.

What factors affect the motion of a pendulum?

The motion of a pendulum is affected by its length, mass, angle of release, and the strength of gravity. Other factors such as air resistance and friction can also have an impact on its motion.