Rotational Motion of a disk and a box

In summary, a disk and a box of equal mass are released from two inclines of equal height and angle. The disk will reach the bottom of the incline later than the box due to its rolling motion, which requires friction. The calculation can be done by finding the linear acceleration of each object using Newton's 2nd law and assuming no friction for the box. The answer can be expressed in terms of the variables m, h, theta, R, and g.
mit_hacker

Homework Statement

A disk and a box of equal mass are released from the top of two inclines both of which are a height h above the ground and make an angle θ to the horizontal. Let the radius of the disk be R. How much sooner does the box reach the bottom of the incline than the disk?
Express your answer in terms of some or all of the variables m, h, theta, and R, as well as the acceleration due to gravity g.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am completely stumped. Please advice me on how to do this problem.

Thanks a ton for the help and advice!

Physics news on Phys.org
Is there friction? My guess is that they want you to assume friction for the disk (so it will roll) and no friction for the box.

Find the linear acceleration of each as they go down the incline. (Apply Newton's 2nd law to both. Be sure to include rotation for the disk.)

Thats the problem!

That's precisely the problem. We are asked to assume that there is no friction which is why I am confused as to what will cause the torque on the disk! Please advise.

If there's no friction, the disk will slide not roll.

Thanks for that. I'll keep that in mind and look into the problem again!

Despite the sloppy wording about "no friction", what I presume they want you to compare is the rolling of the disk versus the sliding of the box. The disk must have friction to roll, but the box should have none. I would solve the problem using that assumption.

Related to Rotational Motion of a disk and a box

1. What is rotational motion?

Rotational motion is the movement of an object around an axis or a center point. It is also known as circular motion and is often described in terms of angular velocity, which is the rate at which the object rotates.

2. How does rotational motion differ from linear motion?

Rotational motion involves the movement of an object around an axis, while linear motion involves the movement of an object in a straight line. In rotational motion, the object's position and velocity are described in terms of angles and angular velocity, while in linear motion, they are described in terms of distance and velocity.

3. What factors affect the rotational motion of a disk or a box?

The rotational motion of a disk or a box is affected by its mass, shape, and distribution of mass. The position and orientation of the object's axis of rotation also play a role in determining its rotational motion. Additionally, external forces such as torque or friction can also affect the object's rotational motion.

4. How is rotational motion calculated?

The rotational motion of an object can be calculated using various equations, such as the rotational kinematic equations and the laws of rotational dynamics. These equations take into account the object's mass, moment of inertia, and the external forces acting on it.

5. What are some real-life examples of rotational motion?

Some examples of rotational motion include the spinning of a top, the rotation of a bicycle wheel, the movement of a ferris wheel, and the rotation of the Earth on its axis. Other examples include the motion of a ceiling fan, the movement of a car's wheels, and the rotation of a wind turbine.