Rotational motion inelastic collision

In summary, the conversation discusses the collision between a ball of clay and a disk and its resulting angular momentum. The final angular speed of the clay and disk after the collision is determined using the formula v'b=-va(sinθ/sin(-θ)). The possibility of the clay colliding at an angle of 30° is also mentioned. The conversation also touches on the importance of understanding physical laws, specifically those related to angular momentum and momentum, in solving this problem.
kirafreedom

Homework Statement

A ball of clay of mass m travels with velocity v in a path tangent to a disk of radius R and mass M. The clay collides with the disk tangentially to its outer rim ( a totally inelastic collision) and the clay and disk begins to spin about the axis.
a) What is the final angular speed of the clay and disk ( don't forget to include the mass m after the collision.
b) if the clay had collided with the rim at an angle of 30° to the tangent line what would the final angular speed be then

Homework Equations

v'b=v'a
va=v'acosθ+v'bcosθ

The Attempt at a Solution

a)
mva=mv'acosθ+mv'bcosθ
0=mv'asinθ+mv'bsinθ

v'b=-va(sinθ/sin(-θ))
v'a=v'b
=va/2cosθ

b) I am not sure without knowinif the formula above is correct

Physics news on Phys.org
If you are unsure about a formula - try using physics.
What are the laws that the motion has to follow?

what do u mean? Newtons law?

You know a whole bunch of physical laws besides Newton's ones.
How many do you know that concern angular momentum and momentum?

I would first clarify the problem and make sure all the given information is accurate. I would also check if the equations used are applicable to rotational motion and inelastic collisions. If they are, then I would proceed with solving the problem by plugging in the given values and solving for the final angular speed. If the equations are not applicable, I would research and find the correct equations to use. Additionally, I would also consider the conservation of energy and momentum in the collision and incorporate those principles into the solution. Once I have calculated the final angular speed, I would double-check my calculations and provide a clear and concise answer with appropriate units. If there are any additional questions or uncertainties, I would communicate them in my response and suggest further investigation.

Related to Rotational motion inelastic collision

1. What is rotational motion inelastic collision?

Rotational motion inelastic collision refers to a type of collision between two objects where there is both translational and rotational motion involved. This means that the objects not only move in a straight line, but also rotate around their own axis.

2. How is rotational motion inelastic collision different from other types of collisions?

Inelastic collisions involve a loss of kinetic energy due to the objects sticking together or deforming upon impact. Rotational motion adds an additional component to the collision, causing the objects to also rotate. This can complicate the analysis of the collision and result in a more complex final state of the objects.

3. What factors affect the outcome of a rotational motion inelastic collision?

The outcome of a rotational motion inelastic collision is affected by a number of factors, including the mass, velocity, and shape of the objects involved, as well as the angle and point of impact. The moment of inertia and coefficient of restitution of the objects also play a role in determining the final state of the objects after the collision.

4. How is the conservation of momentum and energy applied in rotational motion inelastic collisions?

The conservation of momentum and energy still applies in rotational motion inelastic collisions, but the calculations are more complex due to the additional rotational motion involved. In these types of collisions, both linear and angular momentum must be conserved, and the loss of kinetic energy must be taken into account.

5. What are some real-life examples of rotational motion inelastic collisions?

Rotational motion inelastic collisions can be observed in various scenarios, such as a baseball hitting a bat, a car colliding with a tree, or a hammer hitting a nail. These collisions involve both translational and rotational motion, and the objects involved usually stick together or deform upon impact, resulting in a loss of kinetic energy.