Rotational Motion Homework: Find Kinetic Energy of Rod

In summary, a thin rod of length L and mass m is suspended freely from one end and allowed to swing like a pendulum, passing through its lowest position with angular speed ω. In terms of these symbols and g, and neglecting friction and air resistance, the rod's kinetic energy at it's lowest position can be calculated using the formula KE=\frac{1}{2}Iω^2, where I is the moment of inertia taken about the center of mass. Alternatively, the motion can be considered as translation of the center of mass along a circle of radius L/2 and rotation about the center of mass, in which case the formula used is KE=\frac{1}{2}Iω^2+\frac{
Saitama

Homework Statement

A thin rod of length L and mass m is suspended freely from one end. It is pulled to one side and then allowed to swing like a pendulum, passing through its lowest position with angular speed ω. In terms of these symbols and g, and neglecting friction and air resistance, find the rod's kinetic energy at it's lowest position.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am a poor guy in rotational dynamics, please bare with me. :smile:
[tex]KE=\frac{1}{2}Iω^2+\frac{1}{2}Mv^2[/tex]
If i use this formula i get the wrong answer. The answer is [itex]\frac{ML^2ω^2}{6}[/itex].
If i use [tex]KE=\frac{1}{2}Iω^2[/tex], i get the right answer but i don't understand why is this correct? Why i can't use the first formula? Any explanation would be very helpful.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
You can use the first formula. Just be sure you are taking I about the center of mass and that the other KE term is the KE of the center of mass.

Of course it's much easier to use the second formula, as long as you take I about the pivot point. Taken about that point, the rod can be considered as purely rotating.

Doc Al said:
You can use the first formula. Just be sure you are taking I about the center of mass and that the other KE term is the KE of the center of mass.
Thank you, i was considering the center of mass but did not calculate I about the center of mass. :smile:

Doc Al said:
Taken about that point, the rod can be considered as purely rotating.
Any explanation on this?

The rod rotates about a fix axis, and the KE of a body rotating around a fix axis is 1/2 Iω2, where I is the moment of inertia with respect to the axis.

At the same time, you can consider the motion as translation of the CM (along a circle of radius L/2) and rotation about the CM. In this case, you have to use the moment of inertia with respect to the CM in the expression for the rotational KE. Try to figure out the expression for the KE. It must be the same as the former one.

ehild

ehild said:
The rod rotates about a fix axis, and the KE of a body rotating around a fix axis is 1/2 Iω2, where I is the moment of inertia with respect to the axis.

At the same time, you can consider the motion as translation of the CM (along a circle of radius L/2) and rotation about the CM. In this case, you have to use the moment of inertia with respect to the CM in the expression for the rotational KE.
Thank you for the explanation! :smile:

ehild said:
Try to figure out the expression for the KE. It must be the same as the former one.
I have tried solving the question by both the ways and i get the same answer, i was just making sure why both of them are correct.

Related to Rotational Motion Homework: Find Kinetic Energy of Rod

1. What is rotational motion and how does it differ from linear motion?

Rotational motion refers to the movement of an object around an axis or center point. Unlike linear motion, where an object moves in a straight line, rotational motion involves circular or curved movement.

2. How is kinetic energy of a rotating object calculated?

The kinetic energy of a rotating object is calculated using the formula KE = (1/2)Iω², where I is the moment of inertia and ω is the angular velocity. This formula takes into account both the mass and the distribution of mass around the axis of rotation.

3. Why is it important to find the kinetic energy of a rotating object?

Knowing the kinetic energy of a rotating object is important because it helps us understand how much energy is required to keep the object in motion. It also allows us to compare the energy of different rotating objects and make predictions about their behavior.

4. How does the distribution of mass affect the kinetic energy of a rotating object?

The distribution of mass around the axis of rotation affects the moment of inertia, which is a crucial factor in calculating the kinetic energy of a rotating object. Objects with more mass concentrated towards the center will have a lower moment of inertia and therefore a lower kinetic energy compared to objects with mass spread out further from the axis of rotation.

5. Can the kinetic energy of a rotating object be negative?

No, the kinetic energy of a rotating object cannot be negative. This is because kinetic energy is always a positive value, representing the energy an object possesses due to its motion. If the calculated kinetic energy of a rotating object is negative, it is likely an error in the calculation or an indication that the object is not rotating as expected.