Rotational Motion - Disk-Disk Collision problem

In summary, two disks of equal radius A and B with masses m1 and m2 respectively are moving towards each other with velocities v1 and v2. The coefficient of friction is represented by μ and the goal is to calculate the angular momentum/speed of the collision. The difference in the actual collision with and without friction is that the friction will affect the motion of the disks before the collision. The friction could potentially cause the disks to miss each other, but the solution should be built on the working of the problem.
CaptCoonoor
Hey Guys, Can you tell me how to solve this one, Need not give me direct answers but just take a look at this :

Consider two disks A and B of equal radius, let m1 be the mass of disk A and m2 be the mass of disk B, Both are moving towards each other with Velocity v1 and v2 respectively, If they collide and if they were moving on a ground with μ as the coefficient of friction, Can I calculate angular momentum/speed.. I want to dervie expression for this..

I know how to it without friction

Physics news on Phys.org
You say you know how to do it without friction.

What difference will friction make to the actual collision? Presumably at this level of approximation you are treating the collision as though it took place in zero time. So the actual collision will be very much the same with or without friction.

The only difference the friction will make is in what the two disks do on their way to the collision. Or the miss if the friction were to make them miss. Hint: Could the friction make them miss? How?

You need to show your working on which we can build up

Related to Rotational Motion - Disk-Disk Collision problem

1. What is rotational motion?

Rotational motion refers to the movement of an object around an axis or center point. This type of motion is different from linear motion, where an object moves along a straight line.

2. What is a disk-disk collision problem?

A disk-disk collision problem is a physics problem that involves two rotating disks colliding with each other. It is often used to demonstrate the principles of conservation of momentum and energy.

3. How is rotational motion different from linear motion?

Rotational motion involves movement around an axis or center point, while linear motion involves movement along a straight line. Additionally, rotational motion can involve changes in angular velocity and angular acceleration, while linear motion involves changes in velocity and acceleration.

4. What factors affect the outcome of a disk-disk collision problem?

The outcome of a disk-disk collision problem can be affected by factors such as the masses and velocities of the disks, the angle at which they collide, and the coefficient of restitution (a measure of how much energy is lost during a collision).

5. How is momentum conserved in a disk-disk collision problem?

In a disk-disk collision problem, momentum is conserved because the total momentum of the two disks before the collision is equal to the total momentum after the collision. This is due to the law of conservation of momentum, which states that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant.