Rotational Motion - Conceptual

In summary, for the lightweight pivoted bar to be in rotational equilibrium, the sum of torques acting on it must be equal to zero. The problem does not provide enough information about the distance the forces act, so it is not possible to determine the exact solution. However, assuming that the points are equally spaced and the weight of the bar is negligible, the correct answer would be (e) none of these.
Soniteflash

Homework Statement

The lightweight pivoted bar in the figure will be in rotational equilibrium when a 200N force acts
rjmepv.jpg
(a) down at D
(b) up at B
(c) down at E or up at C
(d) up at C only
(e) none of these

Homework Equations

Torque = Force x Distance
∑Torque= 0 for rotational equilibrium

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that in order for the bar to be in rotational equilibrium, the sum of torques must equal zero. My problem is that the problem does not give me information about the distance the forces act. In my opinion the problem does not give me enough information to answer the problem correctly.

Therefore I chose e which I am not sure about either.

Physics news on Phys.org
It looks to me as if you are supposed to assume the points are equally spaced, AB=BC=CD=DE=EF=FG
and to neglect the weight of the "light" bar.

Likes Soniteflash

Related to Rotational Motion - Conceptual

1. What is rotational motion?

Rotational motion is the movement of an object around an axis or center point. It is a type of motion that involves spinning or rotating.

2. What is the difference between rotational motion and linear motion?

The main difference between rotational motion and linear motion is the direction of movement. In rotational motion, the object moves around an axis, whereas in linear motion, the object moves along a straight line.

3. How is angular velocity different from linear velocity?

Angular velocity is the rate of change of an object's angular position, while linear velocity is the rate of change of an object's linear position. In other words, angular velocity measures how fast an object is rotating, while linear velocity measures how fast an object is moving in a straight line.

4. What is moment of inertia?

Moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. It is similar to mass in linear motion, as it determines how difficult it is to change an object's rotational velocity.

5. How is torque related to rotational motion?

Torque is the force that causes an object to rotate around an axis. It is directly related to rotational motion, as a greater torque will result in a greater angular acceleration and thus a faster rotation of the object.