Rotational Motion: Calculating Angular Speed of Disk and Neutron Star Spin Rate

In summary, a solid cylinder, a solid sphere, and a hoop of the same mass but different radii roll down an inclined plane without sliding. The body that gets to the bottom first cannot be determined without further information. For the problem involving a uniform solid disk's angular speed, the calculated value is 4.37 rad/s. For the problem of a star collapsing into a neutron star, the resulting spin rate cannot be determined without using the conservation of angular momentum.
jakeowens
A solid cylinder, a solid sphere, and a hoop all of the same mass but different radii, roll without sliding down an inclined plane. The body that gets to the bottom first will invariably be:
the cylinder
the sphere
they all arrive together
not enough information
the hoop

There isn't enough information to solve that problem is there? they all have different radii, so there is no way you can say which one will arrive there the first, because there just isn't enough information right?

Calculate the angular speed of a uniform solid disk about its central symmetry axis if its rotational kinetic energy is 86 J and its moment-of-inertia is 9.0 kgm2.

For this problem i just used the equation that angular KE=1/2Iw^2. I substituted my values for KE and I, and came up with w=4.37 rad/s. is that right?

t is possible for a large star (one greater than 1.4 solar masses) to gravitationally collapse, crushing itself into a tiny neutron star perhaps 40 km in diameter. Suppose such a thing happens to a star which is 2.09e9 m in diameter and spinning at a rate of about once around every 24 days. What would be the spin rate for the resulting neutron star?

For this last problem, i just assumed the ratio of the diameter to the days it takes to make a revolution would be the same. Is that right? or do i need to use some formulas on this one. It seemed incredibly easy the way i did it.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I'd agree with the first two. For the last one, you're dealing with the conservation of angular momentum. The moment of inertia of the star will change as it shrinks, with a corresponding increase in the angular speed. Moment of inertia is quadratic in the radius, so cutting the radius in half while keeping the mass the same would result in a four-fold change in the moment of inertia. Since angular momentum is linear in angular speed, you won't be able just to take a one-to-one ratio between the radius of the star and the angular speed. The problem isn't very much harder than what you did, but it is a little.

For the first one, there actually is enough information.
The (linear) acceleration of a rolling object going down a plane depends on the angle of inclination and also the inertia of the object.

There are two parts to working out this acceleration.
Part 1.
What are the forces acting on the object as it rolls down the plane.
Use Newton's 2nd law to get an eqn of motion.
Part 2.
What forces on the object provide rotational motion on the object.
Use the rotational equivelent of Newton's 2nd law to get another eqn of motion.

Combine these two eqns and simplify to get the linear acceleration of each object. Rank the accelerations to find out which one arrives first.

Related to Rotational Motion: Calculating Angular Speed of Disk and Neutron Star Spin Rate

1. What is rotational motion?

Rotational motion is the movement of an object around an axis or center point. It can be described by the object's angular speed and direction of rotation.

2. How is angular speed calculated?

Angular speed is calculated by dividing the angle of rotation by the time it takes to complete that rotation. It is typically measured in radians per second (rad/s) or degrees per second (deg/s).

3. How is the angular speed of a disk calculated?

The angular speed of a disk can be calculated by dividing the linear speed of a point on the disk by the radius of the disk. This can be represented by the formula: ω = v/r, where ω is the angular speed, v is the linear speed, and r is the radius.

4. What is the spin rate of a neutron star?

The spin rate of a neutron star is the number of rotations the star makes in a given amount of time. It is typically measured in rotations per second (Hz) and can vary greatly depending on the size and mass of the neutron star.

5. How does the spin rate of a neutron star compare to the angular speed of a disk?

The spin rate of a neutron star is typically much faster than the angular speed of a disk. While a disk may rotate at a few hundred rotations per minute, a neutron star can rotate at hundreds of rotations per second.