Rotational Motion About a Fixed Axis

In summary, the problem at hand is to find the moment of inertia of a three-legged stool made up of a solid circular disk and three identical thin rods attached perpendicularly to the disk's outer edge. The radius of the disk and the rods is 0.12m. The correct equation to use is I = m_1r_1^2 + m_2r_2^2, where m is the mass and r is the radius. The moment of inertia of the rods should be calculated individually and then multiplied by 3 and added to the moment of inertia of the disk, which is calculated using the equation I = 1/2MR^2.
BlackMamba
Hello again.

I thought I had this problem figured out but once again, I did not.

Here's the problem: A solid circular disk has a mass of 1.2kg and a radius of 0.12m. Each of three identical thin rods has a mass of 0.12kg. The rods are attached perpendicularly to the plane of the disk at its outer edge to form a three-legged stool. Find the moment of inertia of the stool with respect to an axis that is perpendicular to the plane of the disk at it's center. (Hint: When considering the moment of inertia of each rod, note that all of the ass of each rod is located at the same perpendicular distance from the axis.)

So...I drew a picture of this stool. The radius of the top is 0.12m and each leg/rod would also have the same radius. My thinking in this is because they are placed at the outside edge of the disk. The axis I drew was perpendicular to the top in it's center, making all three legs/rods the same distance away from the axis which I thought to be 0.12m.

So I used this equation to find the answer for the whole system/stool but was wrong with my answer ----> [itex]I = m_1r_1^2 + m_2r_2^2[/itex]

But now I just started thinking that perhaps this is what I should be doing instead.

That above equation equates to this equation -----> [itex]I = mL^2[/itex] Which would find the inertia of the rod only. Again this is just what I'm thinking. So what I should be doing is using my first equation above to find the inertia of the rods, and then find the inertia of the disk and then add those two to get my final anwer.

I know to find the inertia of the disk -----> [itex]I = \frac{1}{2}MR^2[/itex]

The thing I'm a little unsure of is, do I need to find the inertia for all three rods, or can I just find it for one of them and multiply that number by 3, or will one just do...

Any help provided will be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Moments of inertia are additive.
What values did you try out?
(I thought the m1,r1,m2,r2 notation was rather cryptic..)

arildno said:
Moments of inertia are additive.
What values did you try out?
(I thought the m1,r1,m2,r2 notation was rather cryptic..)

Ok, I think you answered my question then. I should be finding the moment of inertia for each rod and add that to the moment of inertia for the disk...

I didn't think the m1r1 notation was cryptic...m1 being the mass of the rod : .12kg and r1 being the radius : .12m. My other question was could I just calulate the inertia for one rod and then multiply by three or do I need to calculate them individually then add?

Your notation was rather cryptic to me, since you never specified what the terms where supposed to mean..

Just multiply the moment of inertia for one rod with 3 and add that to the moment of inertia of the disk.

Related to Rotational Motion About a Fixed Axis

1. What is rotational motion about a fixed axis?

Rotational motion about a fixed axis is a type of motion where an object rotates around a fixed point or axis. This type of motion can be observed in various systems, such as a spinning top, a rotating planet, or a spinning wheel.

2. What is the difference between rotational motion and translational motion?

Rotational motion involves movement around a fixed point or axis, while translational motion involves movement in a straight line. Rotational motion is also characterized by angular displacement, velocity, and acceleration, while translational motion is characterized by linear displacement, velocity, and acceleration.

3. What factors affect the rotational motion of an object?

The rotational motion of an object is affected by its mass, shape, and distribution of mass. The distance of the object from the axis of rotation and the magnitude of the applied force also play a role in determining the rotational motion.

4. What is angular velocity in rotational motion?

Angular velocity is the rate of change of angular displacement. It is a vector quantity with direction perpendicular to the plane of rotation. In other words, it is the speed at which an object is rotating around an axis.

5. How is rotational motion related to torque?

Torque is the rotational equivalent of force. It is the product of the force applied to an object and the distance from the axis of rotation. In rotational motion, torque is responsible for causing angular acceleration, similar to how force causes linear acceleration in translational motion.