Rotational Mechanics: Sphere collision problem

In summary, the conversation is about a problem involving a solid sphere of mass M and radius R rolling over a protrusion on a surface with a maximum height of R/4. The question is asking for the maximum velocity (V) of the sphere so that it does not lose contact with the surface. The hint given is to use the law of energy conservation.
shreyashebbar
Hello everyone,
Please help me with this problem, as I am getting stuck solving this problem.

A solid sphere of Mass M and Radius R rolling (pure) encounters a protrusion on the surface of height R/4. Its in the form of a step. What can be the maximum velocity V of sphere so that it doesn't leave contact from surface and final velocity?

Attached below is a figure:

Please help.

Thanking in anticipation

Regards

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    3.8 KB · Views: 659
Physics news on Phys.org
I ts not clear what you actually want to ask ! do you wish to know the least velocity that the sphere should have to get above that protrusion ?

Apologize for not making it clear.
Yeup I wish to know the maximum velocity the sphere can roll such that when it strokes the step and rolls over it it doesn't jump is leave touch with the surface.

Regards

OK , you should try it first.
let me give you just a hint.
Law of energy conservation. its the hint.
now can you do it ?

Related to Rotational Mechanics: Sphere collision problem

1. What is rotational mechanics?

Rotational mechanics is a branch of physics that deals with the motion of objects that are rotating or moving in a circular path. It involves the study of how forces and torques affect the motion of rotating objects, and how to use mathematical equations to describe and predict their motion.

2. What is a sphere collision problem in rotational mechanics?

A sphere collision problem in rotational mechanics is a scenario in which two or more spheres collide with each other, resulting in a change in their rotational motion. This problem can involve different factors such as the masses, velocities, and angles of the spheres, and the forces and torques acting on them.

3. How do you solve a sphere collision problem in rotational mechanics?

To solve a sphere collision problem in rotational mechanics, you first need to identify all the relevant variables, such as the masses, velocities, and angles of the spheres, and the forces and torques acting on them. Then, you can use equations such as the law of conservation of angular momentum and the law of conservation of energy to calculate the resulting motion of the spheres.

4. What are some real-life examples of sphere collision problems in rotational mechanics?

Some real-life examples of sphere collision problems in rotational mechanics include billiard balls colliding on a pool table, bowling balls hitting each other on a bowling lane, and planets colliding in space. These scenarios involve the transfer of angular momentum and energy between rotating objects.

5. How is rotational mechanics important in the study of physics?

Rotational mechanics is important in the study of physics because it helps us understand and predict the motion of objects in circular or rotational paths, which is a common occurrence in our everyday lives. It also plays a crucial role in various fields such as engineering, astronomy, and sports, where the understanding of rotational motion is essential in designing and analyzing systems and structures.