Rotational Mechanics: Find Height of Stick in N Turns

In summary: The stick will make n/2 revolutions when it reaches the max height. It will take approximately n/4 seconds for the stick to reach its highest point.
ARNAV SHARMA

Homework Statement

A student throws a stick of length l up in the air .At the moment the stick leaves his hand ,the speed of the stick's end is zero.The stick completes N turns just as it is caught by the student at the initial release point . Show that the height to which the centre of mass of the stick rose is h=πNL/4[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

I assumed the stick will make n/2 revolutions when it reaches the max height and this gave me the angular displacement πnlg through this i found out angular velocity and substituted it in conservation of energy formula . where am i going wrong?[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
ARNAV SHARMA said:
angular displacement πnlg
That is not an angle.
ARNAV SHARMA said:
through this i found out angular velocity
How?

ARNAV SHARMA said:

Homework Statement

A student throws a stick of length l up in the air .At the moment the stick leaves his hand ,the speed of the stick's end is zero.The stick completes N turns just as it is caught by the student at the initial release point . Show that the height to which the centre of mass of the stick rose is h=πNL/4[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

I assumed the stick will make n/2 revolutions when it reaches the max height and this gave me the angular displacement πnlg through this i found out angular velocity and substituted it in conservation of energy formula . where am i going wrong?[/B]
is h=pi*n*l/4 dimensionally correct?

Abhishek kumar said:
Yes, both sides are distances.

Abhishek kumar said:

Please explain why do you think it is not dimensionally correct ?

I would suggest you to not post randomly .You should only post if it is helpful or if it adds value to a thread .

conscience said:
Please explain why do you think it is not dimensionally correct ?

I would suggest you to not post randomly .You should only post if it is helpful or if it adds value to a thread .
I thought that pi*n give angular velocity that's why i asked that.but here n is no turn i confuse this frequency

How can i approach then ?

ARNAV SHARMA said:
How can i approach then ?
Suppose the stick is rotating at rate ω.
What is the initial speed of its mass centre?
How long will it take to reach its highest point?

Related to Rotational Mechanics: Find Height of Stick in N Turns

1. How is rotational mechanics different from linear mechanics?

Rotational mechanics deals with the motion and forces of objects that are rotating around a fixed axis, while linear mechanics deals with the motion and forces of objects that are moving in a straight line.

2. What is the formula for finding the height of a stick in N turns?

The formula is: h = N * (l/2π), where h is the height of the stick, N is the number of turns, and l is the length of the stick.

3. Do I need to know the mass of the stick to find its height in N turns?

No, the mass of the stick does not affect its height in N turns as long as the stick is uniform and the rotation is frictionless.

4. Can this formula be used for any type of rotating object?

This formula is specific to a stick rotating around a fixed axis. Other rotating objects may have different formulas for finding their height in N turns.

5. How can I use this formula in real-life applications?

This formula can be applied in various situations, such as determining the height of a Ferris wheel or the length of a rope needed for a specific number of turns on a pulley system. It can also be used in engineering and design to calculate the height of rotating parts in machines.