Rotational mechanics, angular momentum revision

In summary, the problem involves a man sitting on a stool and holding two dumbbells at arm's length. The man and stool have a moment of inertia of 3 kg m^2 and the dumbbells can be considered point masses. The initial and final moments of inertia are calculated using conservation of angular momentum. The initial angular velocity of the man is 1.5 and the final angular velocity is 4. The kinetic energy is not conserved in this system as energy is added by the man pulling the dumbbells closer. This energy comes from the work done by the man's muscles.
Nono713
Gold Member
MHB

Homework Statement

The problem is attached as an image. Note this is from a past exam.

Homework Equations

Conservation of angular momentum.
Rotational kinetic energy.

The Attempt at a Solution

a) The moment of inertia of the man and stool is given as 3 kg m^2, and the dumbells can be considered point masses, so we can just add them all up:

[tex]I_\mathrm{initial} = I_\mathrm{man} + 2I_\mathrm{dumbell~~~ away} = 3 + 2(3 \times 1^2) = 9[/tex]

[tex]I_\mathrm{final} = I_\mathrm{man} + 2I_\mathrm{dumbell ~~~pulled~~~ in} = 3 + 2(3 \times 0.25^2) = 3.375[/tex]

b) The initial angular velocity of the man is [tex]1.5[/tex], and its initial moment of inertia is [tex]9[/tex], so the system's angular momentum is [tex]L = 1.5 \times 9 = 13.5[/tex]. From conservation of angular momentum, the system must have the same angular momentum after the dumbells have been pulled in, so [tex]L = I_\mathrm{final} \omega_\mathrm{final}[/tex]. So [tex]\omega_\mathrm{final} = \frac{L}{I_\mathrm{final}} = \frac{13.5}{3.375} = 4[/tex].

c) Using the rotational kinetic energy formula:

[tex]K_\mathrm{initial} = \frac{1}{2} I_\mathrm{initial} \omega^2_\mathrm{initial} = \frac{1}{2} \times 9 \times 1.5^2 = 10.125 J[/tex]

[tex]K_\mathrm{final} = \frac{1}{2} I_\mathrm{final} \omega^2_\mathrm{final} = \frac{1}{2} \times 3.375 \times 4^2 = 27 J[/tex]

I am note sure I got it right, shouldn't kinetic energy be conserved? Or does some of it go into potential energy because of the increased radius? I mean clearly the guy is going to spin faster, so the extra kinetic energy must be coming from somewhere.

PS: imagine the correct units are in there, I'm just too lazy to type them up in LaTeX :-p

Attachments

• Problem.png
    Problem.png
    25.1 KB · Views: 400
Physics news on Phys.org
Nono713 said:
I am note sure I got it right, shouldn't kinetic energy be conserved? Or does some of it go into potential energy because of the increased radius? I mean clearly the guy is going to spin faster, so the extra kinetic energy must be coming from somewhere.
Your results look fine.

Where did the energy come from to move the dumbbells? :wink:

Does it come from the work done by the man to pull the dumbells in closer? (chemical energy stored in the man's muscles I suppose) - or maybe I'm overthinking it?

Nono713 said:
Does it come from the work done by the man to pull the dumbells in closer? (chemical energy stored in the man's muscles I suppose) - or maybe I'm overthinking it?
No, not overthinking; That's correct. So, since mechanical energy is being added by a system-internal source, the kinetic energy will not be conserved.

Right, that makes sense! Thanks a lot!

Related to Rotational mechanics, angular momentum revision

1. What is rotational mechanics?

Rotational mechanics is a branch of physics that deals with the motion of objects that rotate around a fixed axis. It involves the study of angular motion, torque, and the relationship between force and rotational motion.

2. What is angular momentum?

Angular momentum is a measure of an object's tendency to continue rotating around an axis. It is defined as the product of an object's moment of inertia and its angular velocity.

3. How is angular momentum conserved?

According to the law of conservation of angular momentum, the total angular momentum of a system remains constant unless acted upon by an external torque. This means that the total angular momentum before and after a collision, for example, will be the same.

4. What is the difference between linear and rotational motion?

Linear motion refers to the movement of an object in a straight line, while rotational motion involves an object rotating around an axis. In linear motion, the velocity and acceleration vectors are in the same direction, while in rotational motion, they are perpendicular to each other.

5. How does torque affect rotational motion?

Torque is a measure of the force that causes an object to rotate. The magnitude of torque depends on the force applied and the distance between the force and the axis of rotation. The larger the torque, the greater the rotational acceleration.