Rotational Mechanics -- A solid sphere is rolled on a rough surface

In summary, the angular speed of the sphere in pure rolling with respect to the linear velocity of the CM is 0.
Ayesha02
Homework Statement
A uniform solid sphere of mass M radius R is placed on a rough surface of given an initial linear velocity ##v_0## and angular velocity ##w_0##, where ##w_0## = ##v_0## /2R. plot the graph of angular speed about the center v/s time t.
Relevant Equations
##T## = I* alpha , where T= torque, alpha= angular acceleration
and
##w_0(f)## = ##w_0(i)##- alpha*t
I found out the time when rotation ceases to be 4 ##v_0## /5*mew*g, where mew=coefficent of friction of surface but I am unable to plot the graph post that time

Physics news on Phys.org
Ayesha02 said:
Homework Statement:: A uniform solid sphere of mass M radius R is placed on a rough surface of given an initial linear velocity ##v_0## and angular velocity ##w_0##, where ##w_0## = ##v_0## /2R. plot the graph of angular speed about the center v/s time t.
Relevant Equations:: ##T## = I* alpha , where T= torque, alpha= angular acceleration
and
##w_0(f)## = ##w_0(i)##- alpha*t

I found out the time when rotation ceases to be 4 ##v_0## /5*mew*g, where mew=coefficent of friction of surface but I am unable to plot the graph post that time
Is the initial angular velocity lower or greater than the one when the sphere rolls? The friction decreases linear velocity and either increases or decreases angular velocity, till rolling occurs. Determine both as functions of time, Show your work in detail.

Last edited:
ehild said:
The friction decreases linear velocity and increases angular velocity. Determine both as functions of time, Show your work in detail.

I just did
##T## = 2/5 M R^2 * α
which gives α =5μg/ 2R

hence
##w_0(f)## = ##w_0(i)## - α t
i.e 0= ##v_0##/2R - 5μg/ 2R *t

hence i got t=4##v_0##/5μg (time when rotation ceases)

Ayesha02 said:
I just did
##T## = 2/5 M R^2 * α
which gives α =5μg/ 2R

hence
##w_0(f)## = ##w_0(i)## - α t
i.e 0= ##v_0##/2R - 5μg/ 2R *t

hence i got t=4##v_0##/5μg (time when rotation ceases)
You kick a ball. After a short time, does it skid or does it roll?

ehild said:
You kick a ball. After a short time, does it skid or does it roll?

Skid initially, after some time rolls.
Im assuming the surface is rough

Ayesha02 said:
Skid initially, after some time rolls.
Im assuming the surface is rough
Yes. And what is the angular speed in case of pure rolling with respect to the linear velocity of the CM?

Last edited:
ehild said:
Yes. And what is the angular speed in case of pure rolling with respect to the linear velocity of the CM?

Angular momentum conservation

I got the answer:bow:

Related to Rotational Mechanics -- A solid sphere is rolled on a rough surface

1. How does the frictional force affect the motion of a solid sphere rolling on a rough surface?

The frictional force between the solid sphere and the rough surface acts in the opposite direction of the sphere's motion, causing it to slow down and eventually come to a stop.

2. What is the relationship between the radius of the sphere and its rotational inertia?

The rotational inertia of a solid sphere is directly proportional to its mass and the square of its radius. This means that as the radius increases, so does the rotational inertia.

3. Can a solid sphere roll without slipping on a rough surface?

Yes, it is possible for a solid sphere to roll without slipping on a rough surface. This occurs when the frictional force is equal to the force of gravity acting on the sphere.

4. How does the rotational kinetic energy of a solid sphere change as it rolls on a rough surface?

The rotational kinetic energy of a solid sphere decreases as it rolls on a rough surface due to the work done by the frictional force, converting the kinetic energy into heat.

5. What is the difference between the motion of a solid sphere rolling on a rough surface and a smooth surface?

The main difference is the presence of friction. On a smooth surface, there is no frictional force acting on the sphere, allowing it to roll without slowing down. On a rough surface, the frictional force causes the sphere to slow down and eventually stop.