Rotational Kinetic Energy: Pole Balanced Vertically

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a 1.80m long pole that is balanced vertically with its tip on the ground and starts to fall, with its lower end not slipping. The question is what will be the speed of the upper end of the pole just before it hits the ground, using conservation of energy. The correct solution involves considering the center of mass of the falling rod, which is located at the geometric center of the rod.
genevievelily

Homework Statement

A 1.80m long pole is balanced vertically with its tip on the ground. It starts to fall and its lower end does not slip. What will be the speed of the upper end of the pole just before it hits the ground? [hint: Use conservation of energy]

l=1.890m

Homework Equations

mgh=1/2I(w)^2
v=wr

The Attempt at a Solution

So I know how to do the problem but I don't quite understand it.

The original method I used to solve the problem was:

mgh=1/2I(w)^2
mgh=(1/2)(1/3m(l^2))(w^2)
*masses cancel to get:
gh=(1/6)(ml^2)(w^2)
Solve for w:
sqrt((6gh)/l^2)=w

However this got me the wrong answer and I realized instead of plugging in h, you must use l/2. Why is this? Is there an equation or something I am missing?

Correct Solution:

sqrt((6g(l/2))/l^2)=w
sqrt((6(9.8m/s^2)(1.8m/2))/(1.8^2)=w
w=4.04rad/s
v=rw
= 1.8m(4.04rad/s)
=7.27m/s

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Here you should consider the center of mass of the falling rod.It is located at the geometric center of the rod.
Welcome to PF!

Related to Rotational Kinetic Energy: Pole Balanced Vertically

1. What is rotational kinetic energy?

Rotational kinetic energy is a form of energy that an object possesses due to its rotational motion. It is defined as the energy an object has due to its rotation around an axis, and it is dependent on the object's mass, radius, and angular velocity.

2. How is rotational kinetic energy calculated?

The formula for calculating rotational kinetic energy is 1/2 * I * ω^2, where I is the moment of inertia and ω is the angular velocity. The moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion and is dependent on the object's mass and distribution of mass relative to the axis of rotation.

3. How does rotational kinetic energy relate to pole balancing vertically?

In the case of pole balancing vertically, the rotational kinetic energy would be equal to the product of the moment of inertia of the pole and the square of its angular velocity. As the pole is balanced vertically, its angular velocity is constant, and the rotational kinetic energy would remain constant as well.

4. What factors can affect the rotational kinetic energy of a pole balanced vertically?

The main factors that can affect the rotational kinetic energy of a pole balanced vertically are the mass and length of the pole. A longer and heavier pole would have a higher moment of inertia, resulting in a higher rotational kinetic energy.

5. Can rotational kinetic energy be converted into other forms of energy?

Yes, rotational kinetic energy can be converted into other forms of energy, such as heat, sound, or work. This conversion can occur when the object's rotational motion is slowed down or stopped, causing a decrease in its rotational kinetic energy and an increase in another form of energy.