Rotational Kinetic Energy of an airplane propeller

In summary, the airplane propeller has a rotational kinetic energy of 3731117.76 J when rotating at 2300 rpm and can be modeled as a slender rod. If the mass of the propeller is reduced to 75.0% of its original mass, the new angular speed needed to maintain the same kinetic energy would be 241 rpm. The moment of inertia for a rotating slender rod is 1/24 x mass x length^2.
cantgetno

Homework Statement

An airplane propeller is 2.02 m in length (from tip to tip) with mass 127 kg and is rotating at 2300 rpm about an axis through its center. You can model the propeller as a slender rod.
a)What is its rotational kinetic energy?
b)Suppose that, due to weight constraints, you had to reduce the propeller's mass to 75.0\% of its original mass, but you still needed to keep the same size and kinetic energy. What would its angular speed have to be, in rpm?

Homework Equations

K=0.5 (mr^2) w^2
(m***, radius, w angular speed)

The Attempt at a Solution

a)
2300 RPM = 38.33 RPS = 76.66 radians/s
2300RPM=240 rad/s

KE=0.5 (127) (1.01)^2 (240)^2 = 3731117.76 J

b)
new mass = 95.25kg

KE = 0.5(95.25)(1.01)^2 (w)^2

2 KE /(95.25)(1.01)^2) = (w)^2

[2 KE /(95.25)(1.01)^2)]^0.5 = wbut I am sure my original KE is wrong so..

thanks for the help

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
2300RPM=240 rad/s

KE=0.5 (1/12)M L^2 (w)^2 ?
giving

1/24 x 127 x 2.02^2 x 240^2 = 1243705.9
?

I get 241 for ω.

I didn't calculate the rest out, but that looks like the right method now.

bingo
thanks lots and lots

Related to Rotational Kinetic Energy of an airplane propeller

1. What is rotational kinetic energy?

Rotational kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its rotation around an axis. In the case of an airplane propeller, it is the energy that the propeller has due to its spinning motion.

2. How is rotational kinetic energy calculated?

The formula for calculating rotational kinetic energy is 1/2 * I * ω², where I is the moment of inertia and ω is the angular velocity. The moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion, and angular velocity is the rate at which the object rotates.

3. How does the shape of the propeller affect its rotational kinetic energy?

The shape of the propeller can affect its moment of inertia, which in turn affects its rotational kinetic energy. A propeller with a larger moment of inertia will require more energy to rotate, while a propeller with a smaller moment of inertia will have less rotational kinetic energy.

4. What factors can affect the rotational kinetic energy of an airplane propeller?

The rotational kinetic energy of an airplane propeller can be affected by the shape and size of the propeller, the material it is made of, and the speed at which it is rotating. Other factors such as air resistance and the weight of the propeller can also play a role.

5. How is rotational kinetic energy important in the functioning of an airplane?

Rotational kinetic energy is essential for an airplane to fly. The propeller converts the energy from the engine into rotational kinetic energy, which then propels the airplane forward. Without this energy, the airplane would not be able to generate enough thrust to take off and maintain flight.