Rotational kinetic energy of a wheel

In summary, the problem involves a wheel with a diameter of 1.4m and a radius of gyration of 0.42m, with a mass of 13kg. The task is to calculate the maximum rotational kinetic energy, but with only the moment of inertia known, it is not possible without additional information. The equations mentioned are for calculating the angular velocity and kinetic energy, but without the necessary values, a solution cannot be found. It is suggested to provide the full problem statement for a more accurate answer.
richyr33

Homework Statement

I have a wheel with a diameter of 1.4m and the radius of gyration is 0.42m. The wheel has a mass of 13kg. Calculate maximum rotational kinetic energy.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

From this all i can do is calculate the moment of inertia which is the mass (x) radius of gyration squared which gives me 2.29kg/m squared.
As far as i am aware i need the angular velocity to calculate the kinetic energy but i have no velocity figures. Any help is much appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
richyr33 said:
As far as i am aware i need the angular velocity to calculate the kinetic energy but i have no velocity figures.
Without more information, there's not much you can do. Did you present the full problem exactly as given, word for word?

You have to know how many turns it took so you can use: [tex]\frac{1}{2}J_{\Delta}\omega^{2}=M_{\Delta}*\Delta\theta[/tex] to calculate the maximal angular speed.

Then you can just plug it in and find your answer .

Ps: JΔ of a wheel : [tex]J_{\Delta}=M*R^{2}[/tex]

yes that is all the information that is in the question. I have previously calculated a maximum linear velocity which i now assume is what i have to use to answer the question even though it makes no reference to it. Many thanks for your replies.

richyr33 said:
yes that is all the information that is in the question. I have previously calculated a maximum linear velocity
So there are other parts to this problem? Post the entire problem, start to finish.

Related to Rotational kinetic energy of a wheel

1. What is rotational kinetic energy?

Rotational kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its rotation around an axis. It is dependent on the object's mass, radius, and angular velocity.

2. How is rotational kinetic energy different from linear kinetic energy?

Rotational kinetic energy is the energy associated with an object's rotational motion, while linear kinetic energy is the energy associated with an object's translational motion. They are calculated using different formulas and have different units of measurement.

3. How is the rotational kinetic energy of a wheel calculated?

The rotational kinetic energy of a wheel can be calculated using the formula KE = 1/2 * I * ω^2, where I is the moment of inertia and ω is the angular velocity of the wheel.

4. What factors affect the rotational kinetic energy of a wheel?

The rotational kinetic energy of a wheel is affected by the wheel's mass, radius, and angular velocity. A larger mass and radius will result in a higher rotational kinetic energy, while a higher angular velocity will result in a lower rotational kinetic energy.

5. How is the conservation of energy principle applied to rotational kinetic energy?

The conservation of energy principle states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or transformed. In the case of rotational kinetic energy, it can be converted into other forms of energy, such as thermal or potential energy, but the total energy remains constant.