Rotational kinetic energy of a fly wheel.

In summary, the problem involves finding the rotational kinetic energy of a fly wheel after a constant torque of 40 N m is applied for 3 seconds. Using the equation KE = 1/2 I ω^2, where I is the moment of inertia and ω is the angular velocity, and the equation T = I a, where T is the torque and a is the angular acceleration, the angular velocity can be determined and used to calculate the kinetic energy. The key equation T = I a is needed to solve the problem.
leoflindall

Homework Statement

The moment of inertia of a fly wheel about it's axis is 20 kg m2. A constant torque of 40 N m is applied to the initially stationary fly wheel. Find it's rotational KE after 3 seconds assuming there is no friction in the system?

Homework Equations

KE=[tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex]I[tex]\omega[/tex]2
I=mr2
a=r[tex]\omega[/tex]2
[tex]\tau[/tex]=Fr , where [tex]\tau[/tex] = torque.

The Attempt at a Solution

I know I have to work out the angular frequency. Knowing the torque applied to the wheel for a given time I should be able to work out the speed after 3 seconds, but I don't know the radius of the wheel. so I think I need to work out the angular velocity and radius, and then I can work out KE. But I can't see how to do this?

Can anyone give me any advice?

Physics news on Phys.org
Consider an analogous linear problem: A object of mass M = 20 kg is on a frictionless surface. A constant force of 40 N is applied to the initially stationary mass. Find its kinetic energy after 3 seconds.

What would your procedure be?

Use Newton's second law to work out the acceleration, and then the speed and then use 1/2 m v2 for the energy.

I was looking to do something similar, but I don't have the mass of the fly wheel to determine the acceleration, nor the radius to determine the acceratory force from the torque. Unless I have missed something - I don't do a lot of mechanics!

I know I'm missing something simple here!

leoflindall said:
I know I'm missing something simple here!

Yes, the moment of inertia is the analog of mass for rotational motion. Torque is analogous to force. Angular velocity is analogous to velocity.

You're missing a key equation. The applied torque is proportional to the angular acceleration. T = I a where T is the torque, I is the moment of inertia, and a is the angular acceleration. If you know a and you know how long it is applied, can you find the angular velocity?

I knew I was missing something, with that equation it's easy.

Thank you

Leo

Related to Rotational kinetic energy of a fly wheel.

1. What is rotational kinetic energy?

Rotational kinetic energy is the energy possessed by an object due to its rotation. It is defined as the energy required to rotate an object around its axis.

2. How is rotational kinetic energy calculated?

The formula for rotational kinetic energy is KE = 1/2 * I * ω^2, where I is the moment of inertia and ω is the angular velocity of the object. This formula is similar to the formula for linear kinetic energy, but with moment of inertia and angular velocity instead of mass and linear velocity.

3. What is the role of a fly wheel in rotational kinetic energy?

A fly wheel is a mechanical device that is used to store rotational kinetic energy. Its main purpose is to maintain a constant speed of rotation and to provide stability to the system. It is commonly used in machines that require a steady supply of power, such as engines or turbines.

4. How does the mass of a fly wheel affect its rotational kinetic energy?

The mass of the fly wheel does not directly affect its rotational kinetic energy, as the formula for rotational kinetic energy does not include mass. However, a heavier fly wheel will have a higher moment of inertia, which will require more energy to rotate at a certain speed.

5. Can rotational kinetic energy be converted into other forms of energy?

Yes, rotational kinetic energy can be converted into other forms of energy such as heat, sound, or linear kinetic energy. This can occur through friction or by using the rotational motion to power a machine or device.