Rotational kinetic energy / moment of inertia

In summary, a 27.0 cm long cylindrical rod with a mass of 1.20 kg has a ball with a diameter of 10.00 cm and a mass of 2.00 kg attached to one end. After being given a slight nudge, the arrangement rotates through 90 degrees. The rotational kinetic energy, angular speed of the rod and ball, and linear speed of the center of mass of the ball are all calculated using the equations KE = 1/2 I ω^2 and v = ωr. The moment of inertia for the rod and ball are found by looking up their respective values or deriving from first principles, and then calculating the moment of inertia about an axis through the hinge. Conservation
bdh2991

Homework Statement

A thin, cylindrical rod = 27.0 cm long with a mass m = 1.20 kg has a ball of diameter d = 10.00 cm and mass M = 2.00 kg attached to one end. The arrangement is originally vertical and stationary, with the ball at the top as shown in the figure below. The combination is free to pivot about the bottom end of the rod after being given a slight nudge.

kd71qs.gif

After the combination rotates through 90 degrees, what is its rotational kinetic energy?

What is the angular speed of the rod and ball?

What is the linear speed of the center of mass of the ball?

How does it compare with the speed had the ball fallen freely through the same distance of 32.0 cm?

Homework Equations

KE = 1/2 I ω^2

v = ωr

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried using conservation of energy for the first part but i don't see how if i get mgh = 1/2 I ω^2...where the height is unknown and also i don't understand how to even get I to be quite honest.

Physics news on Phys.org
You can look up the moment of inertia of a rod and a sphere about their respective centers, or derive from first principles. You then need to work out their moments of inertia about an axis through the hinge, not through he center of mass (hint: that axis is parallel to the axis through the center of mass). Then note that the moment of inertia about some axis of a rigid system made of several parts is the sum of the moments of inertia of the component parts about that axis.

Your conservation of energy approach is correct. The height is the change in altitude of the center of mass. This is so because the center of mass is the mean position of the mass in the object. Its change in height, therefore, is the mean change in height of all the mass in the object.

Does that help?

Related to Rotational kinetic energy / moment of inertia

1. What is rotational kinetic energy?

Rotational kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its rotation around an axis. It is dependent on the mass, velocity, and radius of the rotating object.

2. How is rotational kinetic energy calculated?

Rotational kinetic energy is calculated using the formula KE = 1/2 * I * ω^2, where I is the moment of inertia and ω is the angular velocity of the rotating object.

3. What is moment of inertia?

Moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. It is dependent on the mass distribution and shape of the object.

4. How does moment of inertia affect rotational kinetic energy?

A higher moment of inertia means a greater resistance to rotational motion, resulting in a lower rotational kinetic energy. This is because more energy is required to overcome the object's inertia and achieve the same angular velocity.

5. What are some real-world examples of rotational kinetic energy?

Some examples of rotational kinetic energy include a spinning top, a rolling ball, a spinning fan, and a rotating merry-go-round. Any object that is rotating around an axis has rotational kinetic energy.