Rotational kinetic energy and power

In summary, we calculated the rotational kinetic energy of a 30-cm diameter circular saw blade with a mass of 0.9 kg operating at 4000 rpm to be 886.08 J. To bring the blade from rest to its operating 4000 rpm in 15 seconds, we determined that an average power of 59.072 watts must be applied. The time frame for achieving 4000 rpm was chosen arbitrarily as it does not affect the calculation.
warmfire540
A 30-cm diameter circular saw blade has a mass of 0.9 kg distributed uniformly in a disc.
(a) What is its rotational kinetic energy when it is operating at 4000 rpm?
(b) What average power must be applied to bring the blade from rest to its operating 4000 rpm?

Just making sure I'm doing this right...

a. Inertia=(1/2)mr^2
I=(1/2)(.9)(.15)^2
I=.0101
w=418.88
K=(1/2)Iw^2
K=(1/2)(.0101)(418.88)^2
K=886.08

b. P=average force
torque=r*F
torque=I*ang (ang being angular velocity)
so:
I*ang=r*f
F=I*ang/r

ergh...now i come to a block!
I don't know how to find acceleration without time..or how to find Force..am i on the right track here?
any help please! thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
torque=I*ang (ang being angular velocity)

No, torque = I*alpha where alpha is the angular acceleration. ("I*ang" is angular momentum)

hage567 said:
No, torque = I*alpha where alpha is the angular acceleration. ("I*ang" is angular momentum)

okay..well i said the wrong letter, but i still don't know where to go from here..

firstly, you said that: P = average force. If by 'P' you mean Power, then this is totally wrong. Power is average energy per unit time [it actually is the rate of change of energy w.r.t time].

secondly, the second question is incomplete. Power talks about how much energy is supplied in unit time. A disc rotating at a constant angular velocity, 4000rpm has a specific amount of energy which does not change. Hence, to reach that energy, any amount of power is sufficient. The difference is just in how fast that rpm is achieved. More power means, the rpm will be achieved in smaller time and less power means that the rpm will be achieved in lesser time. A complete question would be something like:

(b) What average power must be applied to bring the blade from rest to its operating 4000 rpm in 200 seconds?

To do this kind of question, you just take the initial RKE and the final RKE to get the change in RKE. This change must equate the work done on it. And the source supplies this energy. Then divide this energy by the time it needs to be done in and you'll get the average power.

Okay, the professor said I just pick a reasonable time.. so I'll say t=15s
so now P=w/t
P=886.08/15
Power=59.072
done?

warmfire540 said:
Okay, the professor said I just pick a reasonable time.. so I'll say t=15s
so now P=w/t
P=886.08/15
Power=59.072
done?

Yes. However, a 'reasonable time' is truly meaningless. In a car, you achieve 8000 rpm [it's a small, economy car] in less than 1 second in the first gear whereas it may take around 8-9 seconds in the 5th gear. But anyways, as long as you get the concept.. nothing else really matters :approve:

Related to Rotational kinetic energy and power

1. What is rotational kinetic energy?

Rotational kinetic energy is the energy possessed by an object due to its rotational motion. It is dependent on the object's mass, moment of inertia, and angular velocity.

2. How is rotational kinetic energy calculated?

The formula for calculating rotational kinetic energy is: K = 1/2 * I * ω^2, where K is the rotational kinetic energy, I is the moment of inertia, and ω is the angular velocity.

3. What is the difference between rotational kinetic energy and linear kinetic energy?

Rotational kinetic energy is the energy associated with an object's rotational motion, while linear kinetic energy is the energy associated with an object's linear motion. They are calculated using different formulas and have different units of measurement.

4. How does rotational kinetic energy affect an object's stability?

Rotational kinetic energy can affect an object's stability by increasing or decreasing its rotational speed. An object with a higher rotational kinetic energy will have a higher angular velocity and may be less stable, while an object with a lower rotational kinetic energy will have a lower angular velocity and may be more stable.

5. What is rotational power?

Rotational power is the rate at which work is done or energy is transferred in a rotational system. It is calculated as the product of torque and angular velocity, or P = τ * ω. Rotational power is measured in watts (W) and is a measure of how quickly an object can rotate.