Rotational Kinematics (String attached to disk)

I is the moment of inertia of the flywheel. In summary, the relationship between the angular acceleration of the flywheel, the downward acceleration of the block, and the radius of the ring can be determined using the equations ω=ω0 + αt and f=ma, along with drawing free-body diagrams and using conservation of energy. Additionally, the tension force on the flywheel creates a torque that can be calculated using the moment of inertia of the flywheel.
mattj150

Homework Statement

Determine the relationship between the angular
acceleration of the flywheel, the downward acceleration of the block, and the radius of
the ring.

Known data:
Mass Ring: 1.420 kg
Radius Ring (Inside, then Outside): 5.10 cm, 6.325 cm
Mass Disk: 1.455 kg
Radius Disk: 11.45 cm
Mass Shaft: Negligable
Radius Shaft: 0.6 cm

Homework Equations

ω=ω0 + αt
f=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm really lost on this, i assume that i need to calculate the tension the block places on the string (F=MA)? Could anyone give me a hint on how to get started on this.

Attachments

• image.PNG
    image.PNG
    2.9 KB · Views: 488
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF;
Your wish is my command:
hint: draw free-body diagrams.

Though you could use conservation of energy and assume acceleration is constant.

I understand how to do the FBD for the hanging mass. The forces acting on it are simply Fg and Ft. How would i do a FBD for the spinning mass? Would i pick a point on the outer edge to do it for?

The tension force acts at a particular location on the flywheel - creating a torque. ##\tau=I\alpha##

I would approach this problem by first identifying the relevant equations and variables. In this case, we are dealing with rotational kinematics, so we can use the equation ω=ω0 + αt, where ω is the final angular velocity, ω0 is the initial angular velocity, α is the angular acceleration, and t is the time.

Next, we can consider the forces acting on the system. The block is accelerating downward, so there must be a force pulling it in that direction. This force is provided by the tension in the string, and we can use the equation f=ma to relate the force to the mass and acceleration of the block.

To determine the relationship between the angular acceleration and the downward acceleration of the block, we can use the fact that the string is attached to the disk, which is rotating. This means that the string is also experiencing a rotational motion, and the angular acceleration of the disk will be related to the downward acceleration of the block.

Finally, we can use the given masses and radii to calculate the moment of inertia of the system, which is needed to fully describe the rotational motion.

Overall, the key to solving this problem is to carefully consider the forces and motions involved, and use the relevant equations to relate them.

Related to Rotational Kinematics (String attached to disk)

What is rotational kinematics?

Rotational kinematics is the study of the motion of objects that are rotating around an axis.

How is rotational kinematics different from linear kinematics?

Rotational kinematics deals with the motion of objects that are rotating, while linear kinematics deals with the motion of objects in a straight line.

What is the relationship between angular velocity and linear velocity in rotational kinematics?

The relationship between angular velocity and linear velocity in rotational kinematics is that they are directly proportional. This means that as angular velocity increases, linear velocity also increases.

How does the radius of rotation affect rotational kinematics?

The radius of rotation affects rotational kinematics by determining the amount of torque required to produce a certain amount of angular acceleration. The larger the radius, the less torque is needed to produce the same amount of angular acceleration.

What is the role of the string in rotational kinematics?

The string is used to attach the rotating object to another object, such as a disk. It allows the object to rotate around a fixed axis and helps to transfer the rotational motion from one object to another.