Rotational Kinematics of two masses

In summary, the left mass is 9.00 kg and the right mass is 1.60 kg. The angular acceleration of the pulley is 196 radians/second when the masses are released from rest. The pulley is spinning in the direction of the arrow.
tbdm

Homework Statement

Consider a system of two masses joined by a massless string with the string passing over a massless frictionless pulley with a radius of
5.0 cm.
The mass of the left is
9.00 kg
and the mass on the right is
1.60 kg.
Find the angular acceleration of the pulley when the masses are released from rest, and in which direction the pulley is spinning. (Find the magnitude of the angular acceleration.)

Homework Equations

F=m*a
torque = I*alpha (angular accerleation)
T=m*g-m*a

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried getting the two tensions. T1 = (9kg)(9.8m/s^2)-(9kg)a; T2 = (1.6kg)(9.8)+(1.6kg)a
Then torque 1 - torque 2 = I*alpha, though the second part is 0 because the mass of the pulley is 0.
So I end up with Tension 1 equals tension 2 (I divided out the radius).
(9kg)(9.8m/s^2)-(9kg)a = (1.6kg)(9.8)+(1.6kg)a
This gave me a = 9.8 m/s^2. I divided it by the radius, .05 meters, to get an angular acceleration of 196 radians/second. This answer is wrong however.

Physics news on Phys.org
hi tbdm! :smile:
tbdm said:
(9kg)(9.8m/s^2)-(9kg)a = (1.6kg)(9.8)+(1.6kg)a
This gave me a = 9.8 m/s^2.

nooo … it gives you 7.4(9.8) = 10.6a :wink:

(btw, you could have said the tensions were the same, since it's a continuous string, and the pulley has zero mass)

Likes 1 person
Alright, it looks like I accidently switched the sign on the 1.6a when I was working it out. So that makes the tangential acceleration ≈6.842 m/s^2, and the angular acceleration is then 136.83 radians/s^2, does that sound right?

Last edited:
Seems good to me. Check if you used the correct numbers, etc. The method is correct, at least!

Likes 1 person
Haha yeah, I've always found it funny that my professors tell us to use sig figs, and yet use homework programs that not only don't count them, they sometimes think the answer is wrong if you do use them. Promotes bad habits :wink:

Thank you all

Related to Rotational Kinematics of two masses

1. What is rotational kinematics of two masses?

Rotational kinematics of two masses is a branch of physics that deals with the motion of two masses rotating around a common axis. It involves the study of the position, velocity, and acceleration of the two masses as they move in a circular motion.

2. What are the key equations used in rotational kinematics of two masses?

The key equations used in rotational kinematics of two masses include the angular displacement, angular velocity, and angular acceleration equations. These are used to calculate the change in position, velocity, and acceleration of the two masses as they rotate around a common axis.

3. How does rotational kinematics of two masses differ from linear kinematics?

Rotational kinematics of two masses differs from linear kinematics in that it involves the study of circular motion, while linear kinematics deals with straight-line motion. In rotational kinematics, the position, velocity, and acceleration of the masses are measured relative to a fixed axis, rather than a fixed point.

4. What factors affect the rotational kinematics of two masses?

The rotational kinematics of two masses can be affected by several factors, including the mass and distance of the masses from the axis of rotation, the applied torque, and any external forces acting on the masses. These factors can change the velocity and acceleration of the masses, resulting in different patterns of rotational motion.

5. How is rotational kinematics of two masses applied in real-life situations?

Rotational kinematics of two masses has many practical applications, such as in the design and operation of machines and vehicles that involve rotating parts. It is also used in sports, such as gymnastics and figure skating, where athletes perform complex rotational movements. Understanding rotational kinematics is crucial in many engineering and scientific fields to ensure the safe and efficient functioning of various systems and structures.