Rotational Kinematics of a Computer Disk

In summary, the computer disk drive has constant angular acceleration and takes 0.410 s to make its second complete revolution. The time it takes to make the first complete revolution and the angular acceleration cannot be determined without knowing the initial angular velocity. It is recommended to focus on finding the angular acceleration first using the equation \theta = \omega_0 t + .5 \alpha t^2.
Superfluous
A computer disk drive is turned on starting from rest and has constant angular acceleration.

If it took 0.410 s for the drive to make its second complete revolution, how long did it take to make the first complete revolution? What is its angular acceleration, in rad/s^2

I cannot find out how to determine the time it takes to complete the first revolution or the angular acceleration at all. Every rotational kinematics equation involves angular velocity, which is not given (except for the fact that it starts from rest).

I do not know how to go about this or which of the exact kinematic equations to use. Any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
I've spent several hours on this plugging in and manipulating the rotational kinematics equations but I still cannot figure out what to do. I'm sure it's something extremely obvious, but I can't seem to figure it out. So... any hint at all would be nice. Thanks.

Work on finding the angular acceleration first. We know that the angular acceleration is constant, so we can use the equations for rotational kinematics. You'll probably want to use [tex] \theta = \omega_0 t + .5 \alpha t^2 [/tex].

Related to Rotational Kinematics of a Computer Disk

What is rotational kinematics?

Rotational kinematics is a branch of physics that studies the motion of objects that rotate around a fixed axis, such as a computer disk.

How does rotational kinematics apply to a computer disk?

A computer disk is a circular object that rotates around a central axis, making it a perfect example of rotational motion. Understanding rotational kinematics is crucial for understanding the movement and operation of a computer disk.

What is angular velocity and how is it related to rotational kinematics?

Angular velocity is a measure of how quickly an object is rotating around an axis. In the case of a computer disk, it is the rate at which the disk is spinning. It is a key concept in rotational kinematics as it describes the rotational motion of the disk.

What is the role of inertia in rotational kinematics?

Inertia is the resistance of an object to changes in its state of motion. In rotational kinematics, inertia plays a crucial role as it determines how easily a computer disk can be rotated, how quickly it can change its rotational speed, and how long it can maintain its rotation.

How does rotational kinematics affect the performance of a computer disk?

The rotational speed and motion of a computer disk play a significant role in its performance. Understanding rotational kinematics can help in optimizing the design and operation of computer disks, leading to faster and more efficient data storage and retrieval.