Rotational kinematics dynamics

In summary, the conversation discusses how the melting of the polar ice caps would affect the Earth's rotation and length of day. The attempt at a solution involves considering the moment of inertia of a sphere and calculating the change in rotation using conservation of angular momentum. However, further calculations are needed to determine the exact change in length of day.
zoner7

Homework Statement

If the melting of the polar ice caps were to raise the water level on the Earth by 10m, by how much would the say be lengthened? Assume the moment of inertia of the ice in the polar ices caps in negligible (they are very near the axis), and assume that the extra water spreads out uniformly over the entire surface of teh Earth (that is, neglect the area of the continents compared with the area of the oceans). The moment of inertia of the Earth(now) is 8.1 X 10&37 kg m^2.

The Attempt at a Solution

good luck... I have no idea how to even go about doing this. I know that i need to examine the radius increase of the Earth do to the water level changing, but since I can't look up any values that aren't given to me, I really have no idea where to even start. if anyone has even the slightest inkling of what to do, I'd love to hear it.

thank you in advance

hmm I suppose that the moment of intertia of a sphere is key:

2/5 MR^2
We can set 2/5 MR^2 = x.

we know that this increases to 2/5 M(R + 10m)^2.

Then the change in the moment of inertia would be equal to [2/5 M(R + 10m)^2 - x], or 8.1 X 10&37 kg m^2 - x.

That's one step down :)

Physics news on Phys.org
zoner7 said:

Homework Statement

If the melting of the polar ice caps were to raise the water level on the Earth by 10m, by how much would the say be lengthened? Assume the moment of inertia of the ice in the polar ices caps in negligible (they are very near the axis), and assume that the extra water spreads out uniformly over the entire surface of teh Earth (that is, neglect the area of the continents compared with the area of the oceans). The moment of inertia of the Earth(now) is 8.1 X 10&37 kg m^2.

The Attempt at a Solution

good luck... I have no idea how to even go about doing this. I know that i need to examine the radius increase of the Earth do to the water level changing, but since I can't look up any values that aren't given to me, I really have no idea where to even start. if anyone has even the slightest inkling of what to do, I'd love to hear it.

thank you in advance

hmm I suppose that the moment of intertia of a sphere is key:

2/5 MR^2
We can set 2/5 MR^2 = x.

we know that this increases to 2/5 M(R + 10m)^2.

Then the change in the moment of inertia would be equal to [2/5 M(R + 10m)^2 - x], or 8.1 X 10&37 kg m^2 - x.

That's one step down :)

I'd have to wonder if a more useful approach wouldn't be to calculate the moment of a 10 m hollow sphere of water at the radius of the earth. (Calculate the surface area of Earth times 10 m times mass of water to get the mass.) Then add that to the known moment of the Earth to arrive at the total moment.

Because the mass of the water won't be as much as the weight of the magma based densities of the landmass.

Since angular momentum needs to be conserved ... you can get to the change in rotation.

I still could not reach the answer, please can you explain more?

Related to Rotational kinematics dynamics

1. What is rotational kinematics dynamics?

Rotational kinematics dynamics is a branch of mechanics that deals with the motion of objects that rotate around a fixed axis. It involves the study of rotational motion, forces, and energy in relation to the position, velocity, and acceleration of rotating objects.

2. What is the difference between linear and rotational motion?

The main difference between linear and rotational motion is the type of path that an object follows. Linear motion involves movement in a straight line, while rotational motion involves movement around a fixed axis. Additionally, linear motion is described using distance, speed, and acceleration, while rotational motion is described using angle, angular velocity, and angular acceleration.

3. What are the equations for rotational kinematics dynamics?

The two main equations for rotational kinematics dynamics are the rotational analogues of the linear equations of motion. These are θ = ω0t + 1/2αt2 for rotational displacement and ω = ω0 + αt for rotational velocity, where θ is the angle of rotation, ω is the angular velocity, ω0 is the initial angular velocity, α is the angular acceleration, and t is the time.

4. How do forces affect rotational motion?

Like in linear motion, forces can cause changes in rotational motion. The force acting on a rotating object is called torque, and it is directly proportional to the angular acceleration of the object. This means that a greater force will result in a greater angular acceleration, and therefore a faster change in rotational motion.

5. What are some examples of rotational kinematics dynamics in everyday life?

Rotational kinematics dynamics can be observed in many everyday activities, such as swinging a bat, throwing a ball, rolling a wheel, and spinning a top. It is also essential in understanding the motion of objects like gears, pulleys, and engines. In sports, it is crucial for understanding the movement of gymnasts, divers, and figure skaters, among others.