Rotational Invariance of X and Y on Rk: Proving Independence & Distribution

In summary, rotational invariance refers to the property of a mathematical function or system remaining unchanged under rotation. In the context of X and Y on Rk, it means that the distribution and independence of these variables remain the same when the coordinate system is rotated. Proving rotational invariance is important because it allows us to use rotational symmetry to simplify and solve mathematical problems. To prove independence of X and Y on Rk under rotation, we can use the definition of independence and show that it holds true even after rotating the coordinate system. The independence of X and Y on Rk can be proven for any type of rotation, as long as the coordinate system and the variables remain the same. This is because the property of rotational invar
dymin3
suppose that X and Y are independent and each rotationally invariant on Rk

a) Let P denote any orthogonal projection with dim P = k1
determine the distribution of the correlation coefficient r= X'PY/(|PX||PY|)

I think r is a special case of ∑(Xi-barX)(Yi-barY) = X'PX where P = I-n^(-1)11'
but what should I do after?
b) Let X = X1 with Xi on Rki where i =1,2 and prove
X2
- Each Xi is rotationally invariant in its own right

I tried to prove Maxwell-Hershell [Maxwell-Hershell: x1,...,xn iid N(0,σ2) iff x is rotationally invariant and x1,..,xn are independent] but i was not sure...

- If Vi is in R[from K1 to K] with V'V = I, then V'X = X1

This one, I was not sure how to start T-T

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

a) To determine the distribution of the correlation coefficient r, we can use the formula r= X'PY/(|PX||PY|). Since X and Y are independent, we know that the covariance between X and Y is zero. Therefore, the numerator of the correlation coefficient will be zero. Additionally, since X and Y are rotationally invariant, their covariance matrices will be diagonal matrices with equal variances along the diagonal. This means that |PX| and |PY| will be equal. Therefore, the correlation coefficient r will have a distribution of zero.

b) To prove that each Xi is rotationally invariant in its own right, we can use the definition of rotational invariance. This means that the distribution of X must remain unchanged under any rotation. Since X is composed of X1 and X2, we can look at each component separately. For X1, we can use the Maxwell-Hershell theorem, which states that if x1,...,xn are independently and identically distributed as N(0,σ2), then x is rotationally invariant. Since Xi is a subset of X, it will also be rotationally invariant.

For X2, we can use a similar argument. Since X2 is a subset of X, it will also be rotationally invariant. Additionally, if Vi is in R[from K1 to K] with V'V = I, then V'X = X1. This means that rotating X2 by V will not change its distribution. Therefore, X2 is also rotationally invariant.

For the second part of the question, we can start by using the definition of rotational invariance again. Since V'V = I, this means that V is an orthogonal matrix. This means that rotating X by V will not change its distribution. Therefore, V'X = X1 is also rotationally invariant.

Related to Rotational Invariance of X and Y on Rk: Proving Independence & Distribution

1. What is rotational invariance in the context of X and Y on Rk?

Rotational invariance refers to the property of a mathematical function or system remaining unchanged under rotation. In the context of X and Y on Rk, it means that the distribution and independence of these variables remain the same when the coordinate system is rotated.

2. Why is it important to prove rotational invariance of X and Y on Rk?

Proving rotational invariance is important because it allows us to use rotational symmetry to simplify and solve mathematical problems. It also helps us understand the relationship between variables and their distribution in a coordinate system.

3. How do you prove independence of X and Y on Rk under rotation?

To prove independence of X and Y on Rk under rotation, we can use the definition of independence, which states that two variables are independent if their joint distribution is equal to the product of their marginal distributions. We can then show that this equality holds true even after rotating the coordinate system.

4. Can the independence of X and Y on Rk be proven for any type of rotation?

Yes, the independence of X and Y on Rk can be proven for any type of rotation, as long as the coordinate system and the variables remain the same. This is because the property of rotational invariance holds true for all rotations.

5. How does the rotational invariance of X and Y on Rk relate to the Central Limit Theorem?

The Central Limit Theorem states that the sum of a large number of independent and identically distributed random variables will tend towards a normal distribution. The rotational invariance of X and Y on Rk ensures that the distribution of these variables remains unchanged even when the coordinate system is rotated, which is a crucial assumption for the Central Limit Theorem to hold.