Rotational invariance and degeneracy (quantum mechanics)

In summary, if a Hamiltonian H is invariant under all rotations, then its eigenstates are also eigenstates of L^{2} and they have a degeneracy of 2l+1. This can be shown by using the properties of angular momentum operators and their commutation relations.
LikingPhysics

Homework Statement

Show that if a Hamiltonian [itex]H[/itex] is invariant under all rotations, then the eigenstates of [itex]H[/itex] are also eigenstates of [itex]L^{2}[/itex] and they have a degeneracy of [itex]2l+1[/itex].

Homework Equations

The professor told us to recall that

[itex]J: \vec{L}=(L_x,L_y,L_z) [/itex]

[itex] L_z|l,m\rangle=m|l,m\rangle [/itex]

[itex] L_\pm=L_x\pm iL_y [/itex]

[itex] L_\pm|l,m\rangle= \hbar\sqrt{l(l+1)-m(m\pm1)} |l,m\pm 1\rangle[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I have been reading as much materials as I can, but I still have no clue at all on how to solve it at this moment. Can anyone help? Thank you so much!

Physics news on Phys.org
I solved it!

Thank goodness! I have solved it now.

One can do the calculations in either generic Hilbert space for general rotations or in 3D real Hilbert space.

Related to Rotational invariance and degeneracy (quantum mechanics)

1. What is rotational invariance in quantum mechanics?

Rotational invariance is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics that states that the laws of physics should remain unchanged under rotations in space. This means that the outcome of a quantum system should not depend on the orientation of the coordinate system used to measure it.

2. How does rotational invariance impact the energy levels of a quantum system?

Rotational invariance leads to the degeneracy of energy levels in a quantum system. This means that different states of the system with the same energy level can be obtained by rotating the system in space. This leads to a more complex energy spectrum and can have implications for the behavior of the system.

3. Can rotational invariance be violated in quantum mechanics?

Yes, rotational invariance can be violated in certain situations, such as in the presence of external forces or interactions. This can result in a breaking of degeneracy and a non-uniform energy spectrum. However, rotational invariance is still considered a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics and is preserved in most cases.

4. How is rotational invariance related to the conservation of angular momentum?

Rotational invariance is closely related to the conservation of angular momentum in quantum mechanics. This is because rotational invariance implies that the laws of physics should be the same for all orientations, and therefore, the total angular momentum of a system should remain constant regardless of its orientation.

5. How is rotational invariance tested in experiments?

Rotational invariance can be tested in experiments using techniques such as electron spin resonance spectroscopy or neutron diffraction. These methods involve manipulating and measuring the behavior of particles in a magnetic field, which can provide information about the rotational symmetry of the system. Additionally, theoretical calculations and simulations can also be used to study the effects of rotational invariance on the behavior of quantum systems.