Rotational Inertia of Thin Rod

In summary, the problem involves a rigid body made of three identical thin rods, fastened together in the form of an H, which is allowed to fall from rest from a horizontal position. The body can rotate about a horizontal axis running along one of the legs of the H. To find the final angular speed of the body when the H is vertical, one can use the perpendicular and parallel axis theorems to calculate the moment of inertia for each rod, and then use an energy principle to determine the final angular speed.
deadpenguins

Homework Statement

A rigid body is made of three identical thin rods, each with length L=0.600m, fastened together in the form of a letter H. The body is free to rotate about a horizontal axis that runs along the length of one of the legs of the H. The body is allowed to fall from rest from a position in which the plane of the H is horizontal. What is the angular speed of the body when the plane of the H is vertical?

Homework Equations

Not quite sure, possibly I = 1/3*MR2, the perpendicular axis theorem, and the parallel axis theorem

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not really sure where to start since all that is given is L. I think that each rod must have its moment of inertia calculated separately about the axis using the perpendicular and parallel axis theorems, but we have not reviewed these subjects extensively and I am not sure of how I would go about doing this. I have read through the textbook and found no examples that are even close to this with so few variables given.
I am not necessarily looking for a worked out solution, but rather a finger to point me in the right direction (i.e. formula or concept)!

Physics news on Phys.org
You can obviously divide the H into three component rods, then calculate the I's for each rod about the given axis. As for finding the final angular speed of the body, it is most convenient to use an energy principle.

Last edited:

Related to Rotational Inertia of Thin Rod

1. What is rotational inertia?

Rotational inertia, also known as moment of inertia, is a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion. It depends on the mass and distribution of the object's mass around its axis of rotation.

2. How is the rotational inertia of a thin rod calculated?

The rotational inertia of a thin rod is calculated using the formula I = (1/12) * m * L^2, where I is the rotational inertia, m is the mass of the rod, and L is the length of the rod.

3. What factors affect the rotational inertia of a thin rod?

The rotational inertia of a thin rod is affected by its mass, length, and the distribution of its mass along its length. The farther the mass is from the axis of rotation, the higher the rotational inertia will be.

4. How does the rotational inertia of a thin rod compare to that of a solid rod?

A thin rod has a lower rotational inertia compared to a solid rod with the same mass and length. This is because the mass of a thin rod is concentrated at its edges, which are closer to the axis of rotation, while the mass of a solid rod is distributed evenly throughout its entire length.

5. What is the significance of understanding rotational inertia in physics?

Understanding rotational inertia is important in physics as it helps explain and predict the behavior of rotating objects. It is also essential in many real-life applications, such as designing machines and structures that involve rotational motion.