Rotational Inertia of merry go round

In summary, the total angular momentum of the rotating merry-go-round with a 50 kg child sitting on the edge is 1137.5 kg-m2/s. If the child crawls to the center, the moment of inertia increases to 2275 kg-m2 and the rotation speed decreases to 0.25 radians per second. The child's moment of inertia is directly proportional to its distance from the center of rotation.
bphysics

Homework Statement

a. A merry go round is rotating in the counter-clockwise direction. Initially, a 50 kg child is sitting on the edge of the merry-go-around, which rotates at 0.5 radians per second. The moment of inertia of the merry-go-round is 2150 kg-m2. The radius is 2.50 meters. The child can be treated as a point mass. What is the total angular momentum?

b. If the child crawls to the center of the merry-go-round, will the speed at which it rotates change? If so, what is the new rotation speed?

Homework Equations

[tex]\vec{L}[/tex] = I[tex]\vec{w}[/tex]
I = m1r12 + m2r22

The Attempt at a Solution

The moment of inertia of the merry-go-round is 2150 kg-m2. We need to add to that value the moment of inertia of the child.

Ichild = (2.50 m) * (50 kg) = 125 kg-m2
Itotal = 2150 + 125 = 2275 kg-m2

[tex]\vec{L}[/tex] = I[tex]\vec{w}[/tex] = (2275)(0.5) = 1137.5

Physics news on Phys.org
bphysics said:
Ichild = (2.50 m) * (50 kg) = 125 kg-m2

If the child can be considered a point mass, then the child's moment of inertia is given by mr2. Recalculate this, then the total moment of inertia and then the total angular momentum.

For part b, if the child moves closer to the centre of rotation, what property of the child is changing?

kg-m2/s

b. The speed at which the merry-go-round rotates will change when the child moves towards the center. This is because the moment of inertia of the system decreases as the child moves closer to the center, resulting in an increase in angular velocity to maintain the same angular momentum.

Using the equation \vec{L} = I\vec{w}, we can solve for the new angular velocity:

1137.5 kg-m2/s = (2275 kg-m2)(\vec{w}')
\vec{w}' = 0.5 radians per second * (2275/1137.5) = 1.0 radians per second

Therefore, the new rotation speed will be 1.0 radians per second. This is twice the initial rotation speed, as expected since the moment of inertia has been halved.

Related to Rotational Inertia of merry go round

1. What is rotational inertia?

Rotational inertia, also known as moment of inertia, is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion.

2. How is rotational inertia related to a merry go round?

In the case of a merry go round, rotational inertia is the property that allows it to maintain its rotational motion even when external forces, such as friction or air resistance, act upon it.

3. How does the shape and mass of the merry go round affect its rotational inertia?

The shape and mass of the merry go round play a significant role in determining its rotational inertia. Objects with larger masses or shapes that are farther away from the axis of rotation will have a higher rotational inertia.

4. What is the equation for calculating the rotational inertia of a merry go round?

The equation for calculating rotational inertia is I = mr², where I is the rotational inertia, m is the mass of the object, and r is the distance from the axis of rotation to the mass.

5. How does the rotational inertia of a merry go round affect its speed and acceleration?

The higher the rotational inertia of a merry go round, the more force is needed to change its rotational speed or acceleration. This means that an object with a higher rotational inertia will require more energy to speed up or slow down.