Rotational Inertia of Irregular Plate

In summary, the rotational inertia of an irregularly shaped plastic plate about an axle perpendicular to its face and through point O can be measured by attaching a circular disk of known mass and radius to the plate and pulling it with a constant force for a set amount of time. Using equations such as T = I(alpha) and the parallel axis theorem, the rotational inertia of the plate can be calculated by subtracting the rotational inertia of the disk from the total rotational inertia.
Nikolan

Homework Statement

In Fig. 10-43a, an irregularly shaped plastic plate with uniform thickness and density (mass per unit volume) is to be rotated around an axle that is perpendicular to the plate face and through point O. The rotational inertia of the plate about that axle is measured with the following method. A circular disk of mass 0.500 kg and radius 2.00 cm is glued to the plate, with its center aligned with point O (Fig. 10-43b). A string is wrapped around the edge of the disk the way a string is wrapped around a top. Then the string is pulled for 5.00 s. As a result, the disk and plate are rotated by a constant force of 0.400 N that is applied by the string tangentially to the edge of the disk. The resulting angular speed is 114 rad/s. What is the rotational inertia of the plate about the axle?

Disk: m = 0.500kg
r = .002 m

Then pulled by a string for 5s resulting in 114rad/sec angular speed. This means it has 22.8 rad/sec^2 angular acceleration.
The constant force pulling the string is 0.400N.

Homework Equations

w = wo + (alpha)t

I = Icom + mh^2 (parallel axis theorem) i know this is the important equation here, but not sure how to apply it. Specifically what h would be in this equation.

Inertia equations. (not sure which other than a cylinder) Main point here is trying to find equation for rotational inertia for irregular plate.

The Attempt at a Solution

I do not know where to begin here other than what I stated in the problem statement to find angular acceleration. I'm also not sure with this question if its only asking for the rotational inertia for JUST the plate or the plate PLUS the circular disk.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
see attachment for picture

Attachments

• tfg043.gif
    tfg043.gif
    3.5 KB · Views: 440
!Solved!

Using T = r x F
T = I(alpha)
Equations and relating them together to get Itotal then subtracting Idisk to get Iplate.

Related to Rotational Inertia of Irregular Plate

1. What is rotational inertia?

Rotational inertia, also known as moment of inertia, is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. It is the equivalent of mass in linear or translational motion.

2. How is rotational inertia calculated?

The rotational inertia of an irregular plate can be calculated by integrating the product of the mass of each small element of the plate and its distance from the axis of rotation squared. This is represented by the equation I = ∫ r^2 dm.

3. What factors affect rotational inertia of an irregular plate?

The rotational inertia of an irregular plate is affected by its mass, shape, and the distance of the mass from the axis of rotation. The larger the mass and the farther it is from the axis of rotation, the larger the rotational inertia will be.

4. How is rotational inertia different from moment of inertia?

Rotational inertia and moment of inertia are essentially the same concept, with the former being used more commonly in physics and the latter in engineering. The only difference is that moment of inertia takes into account the distribution of mass in an object, while rotational inertia assumes that the mass is concentrated at a single point.

5. What are some real-world applications of rotational inertia?

Rotational inertia is an important concept in many fields, including physics, engineering, and sports. It is used to analyze the stability of structures, the performance of rotating machinery, and the movements of objects such as skaters, divers, and gymnasts.