Rotational inertia of arm lifting a cup

In the case of the point mass, the mass is all concentrated at the center of mass.In summary, Doc Holliday takes a shot of whiskey with a forearm and hand spanning 18 inches and weighing 2 pounds and a shotglass with 5 ounces of whiskey. The rotational inertia of the arm and drink can be calculated using the equation τ=Iα and the equation I=(1/3)mL² + something. The moment of inertia for a point mass is md^2 and all other moments of inertia are derived from it.
lyl926

Homework Statement

Doc Holliday takes his last shot of whiskey. His forearm and hand spans 18" and weighs 2lbs. The shotglass and its intoxicating contents weighs 5ozs. (there are 16 ozs in one pound). Doc remains otherwise motionless as his elbow bends, tossing back the whiskey.
Calculate the rotational inertia of the arm + drink.

Homework Equations

τ=Iα (torque=rotational inertia x alpha)

and the equations in the file i attached

The Attempt at a Solution

Since the cup is point mass and that arm I think is rigid mass(?),
I used
I = (1/3)mL² + something
I don't know which of the equations from the file the something should be..
My friend used I=mR² but I'm not sure how that works..

Attachments

• IMG_0001.jpg
    IMG_0001.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 436
Physics news on Phys.org
By definition, the moment of inertia of a point mass is md^2. Every other moment of inertia you've encountered--1/3ML^2, 2/5MR^2, 2/3MR^3, whatever--is derived from I=md^2.

I would first clarify what is meant by "rotational inertia" in this context. It seems that the question is asking for the moment of inertia, which is a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion. The formula for moment of inertia is I = mr^2, where m is the mass and r is the distance from the axis of rotation.

In this case, the arm and cup can be treated as two separate objects with their own moments of inertia. The arm can be approximated as a thin rod with a point mass at the end (the hand holding the cup). The moment of inertia for a thin rod rotating about one end is (1/3)mr^2, so in this case, the moment of inertia for the arm would be (1/3)(2lbs)(18in)^2 = 216 in-lb-s^2.

For the cup, we can use the formula for a point mass rotating about an axis perpendicular to its motion, which is simply mr^2. In this case, the distance r would be the radius of the cup, which is half of its diameter. So the moment of inertia for the cup would be (5/16)lbs(9in)^2 = 3.52 in-lb-s^2.

To find the total moment of inertia for the arm and cup together, we can simply add the two values together: 216 in-lb-s^2 + 3.52 in-lb-s^2 = 219.52 in-lb-s^2.

It's important to note that these calculations are just approximations and may not be completely accurate, as there are many factors that can affect the moment of inertia of an object (such as the shape and distribution of mass). However, this should give us a rough estimate of the rotational inertia of Doc's arm and the shotglass.

Related to Rotational inertia of arm lifting a cup

1. What is rotational inertia?

Rotational inertia, also known as moment of inertia, is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. It is dependent on the mass and distribution of mass around an object's axis of rotation.

2. How does the rotational inertia of an arm affect lifting a cup?

The rotational inertia of an arm plays a crucial role in lifting a cup. A higher rotational inertia means that more force is required to accelerate the arm and lift the cup. This is why lifting a heavy cup requires more effort than lifting a lighter one.

3. How does the shape of the cup affect its rotational inertia when being lifted by an arm?

The shape of the cup can affect its rotational inertia, as it determines the distribution of mass around its axis of rotation. For example, a cup with a wider base and narrow top will have a lower rotational inertia compared to a cup with a narrow base and wider top, as more mass is concentrated towards the top of the cup.

4. Does the length of the arm affect its rotational inertia when lifting a cup?

Yes, the length of the arm does affect its rotational inertia. A longer arm will have a higher rotational inertia compared to a shorter arm, as more mass is distributed further away from the axis of rotation. This means that more force is needed to accelerate and lift the cup.

5. How can the rotational inertia of an arm be reduced when lifting a cup?

The rotational inertia of an arm can be reduced by decreasing its mass and/or by distributing the mass closer to its axis of rotation. This can be achieved by holding the cup closer to the body, using a lighter cup, or using an arm with a smaller mass. Additionally, using a shorter arm will also reduce the rotational inertia.