Rotational inertia of a square piece of wood?

In summary, the rotational inertia of a piece of plywood while using a hole saw depends on its mass, size, and the location of the cut. The equation for calculating it is ##I=\frac{1}{12}ma^2+md^2##, where ##m## is the mass of the plywood, ##a## is the side of the square, and ##d## is the distance from the center of the square to the center of the hole being drilled.
chessismyfort
I was in the shop the other day cutting holes out of a 20inx20inx.25in piece of plywood and I noticed that the hole saw was slipping on the board (meaning that it would begin to make an unpleasant sound as the saw hit the board). I had the board clamped down and I realized that a large portion of the board was hanging of the edge. Even if the board was perfectly centered for a cut through the middle of the board (discouraged in the shop, it wastes a large amount of resources), there was too much torque on the board (it would have to be cut).
Assuming that the board wasn't clamped down, I'm wondering what the rotational inertia would be on such a piece of plywood if I was using a hole saw. I know that it would depend on the size of the hole i was cutting, the rpm of the saw, the size of the board, and the location of the cut. I'm just wondering HOW they would relate.
Use any other necessary units (mass etc.)

Is it even possible to create an equation for this?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The moment of inertia (rotational inertia) of the plywood is a geometric quantity and does not depend on the rpm of the saw. The equation you are looking for is $$I=\frac{1}{12}ma^2+md^2$$where
##m##= mass of plywood,
##a##=side of square,
##d##=distance from the center of the square to the center of the hole you are about to drill.

The formula is an application of the parallel axis theorem.

Related to Rotational inertia of a square piece of wood?

1. What is rotational inertia?

Rotational inertia, also known as moment of inertia, is a measure of an object's resistance to change in its rotational motion. It depends on an object's mass, shape, and distribution of mass.

2. How is rotational inertia different from linear inertia?

Linear inertia is the resistance of an object to change in its linear motion, while rotational inertia is the resistance of an object to change in its rotational motion. They are both related to an object's mass, but rotational inertia also takes into account the object's shape and distribution of mass.

3. How is rotational inertia calculated for a square piece of wood?

The formula for calculating rotational inertia for a square piece of wood is I = 1/12 * M * (a^2 + b^2), where I is the rotational inertia, M is the mass of the wood, and a and b are the side lengths of the square.

4. How does the shape of the wood affect its rotational inertia?

The shape of the wood directly affects its rotational inertia. Objects with a larger moment of inertia are more resistant to changes in their rotational motion. For a square piece of wood, the distribution of mass and the distance of the mass from the axis of rotation will determine its moment of inertia.

5. Why is understanding rotational inertia important?

Understanding rotational inertia is important in various fields of science, such as physics, engineering, and mechanics. It helps explain rotational motion and is crucial in designing and analyzing machines and structures that involve rotational motion, such as wheels, gears, and propellers.