Rotational Inertia, Need Help With Integrals

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the rotational inertia of a two-disk assembly about a perpendicular axis through point O. The disks have a uniform density and thickness, and the smaller disk has been glued to the edge of the larger disk. The correct approach is to find the rotational inertia of each disk about point O and then add them together. The parallel axis theorem can be used to find the rotational inertia of the smaller disk. No integration is needed for this problem.
rmunoz
Rotational Inertia, Need Help With Integrals!

Homework Statement

In the figure below, a small disk of radius r = 2.00 cm has been glued to the edge of a larger disk of radius R = 4.00 cm so that the disks lie in the same plane. The disks can be rotated around a perpendicular axis through point O at the center of the larger disk. The disks both have a uniform density (mass per unit volume) of 1.50 103 kg/m3 and a uniform thickness of 4.60 mm. What is the rotational inertia of the two-disk assembly about the rotation axis through O?

http://www.webassign.net/halliday8e/art/images/halliday8019c10/image_n/nfg051.gif

Homework Equations

I=[tex]\frac{MR\stackrel{2}{}}{2}[/tex]

I=[tex]\int[/tex]r[tex]\stackrel{2}{}[/tex]dm

[tex]\rho[/tex]= [tex]\frac{m}{v}[/tex]

com= [tex]\frac{m1x1 + m2x2 + m3x3...m(n)x(n)}{M}[/tex]

I=Icom + Mh[tex]\stackrel{2}{}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

My initial attempt basically included the following steps:

m(circle1)= [tex]\pi[/tex]r1[tex]\stackrel{2}{}[/tex] * width [.0046m] * density [1.5*10[tex]\stackrel{3}{}[/tex]kg/m[tex]\stackrel{3}{}[/tex]]

m(circle2)= [tex]\pi[/tex]r2[tex]\stackrel{2}{}[/tex] * width [.0046m] * density [1.5*10[tex]\stackrel{3}{}[/tex]kg/m[tex]\stackrel{3}{}[/tex]]

=> I(com)= [tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex]MR[tex]\stackrel{2}{}[/tex] Where R is the radius' of both circles added together

This clearly was the wrong approach and I'm fairly certain that in order to get the correct answer for this, i do not know how to take the integral (im only somewhat familiar with the process).

That integral is supposed to give me the I (com) and then I am fairly certain all i have to do is find Mh^2 and add the two together to get the I (sys).

Would anybody mind helping me with this process, by explaining how to take a simple integral (preferably using these exact same terms), and what exactly this is doing for the calculations. This kind of assistance would be much appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

No integration is needed. Find the rotational inertia of each disk about point O, then add them for the total rotational inertia of the two-disk assembly. Hint: To find the rotational inertia of the smaller disk about point O, use the parallel axis theorem.

Got it, Thank you!

Related to Rotational Inertia, Need Help With Integrals

1. What is rotational inertia?

Rotational inertia, also known as moment of inertia, is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. It is dependent on the object's mass, shape, and distribution of mass.

2. How is rotational inertia calculated?

Rotational inertia can be calculated using the formula I = ∫ r^2 dm, where r is the distance from the object's axis of rotation and dm is an infinitesimal mass element.

3. What is the difference between rotational and linear inertia?

Rotational inertia refers to an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion, while linear inertia refers to an object's resistance to changes in its linear motion. Rotational inertia is dependent on the object's shape and distribution of mass, while linear inertia is dependent on the object's mass and velocity.

4. How does rotational inertia affect an object's motion?

Rotational inertia affects an object's motion by determining how much torque is required to change its rotational motion. Objects with larger rotational inertia will require more torque to change their rotation, while objects with smaller rotational inertia will require less torque.

5. How can integrals be used to calculate rotational inertia?

Integrals can be used to calculate rotational inertia by breaking down an object into infinitesimal mass elements and summing up their contributions using the formula I = ∫ r^2 dm. This allows for the calculation of rotational inertia for objects with complex shapes and distributions of mass.