Rotational Equilibrium Problem

In summary, the problem involves a beam with three masses, one on each end and one in the middle. The fulcrum is located 10 cm to the left of the center of the beam. The mass of mass 2 is unknown, but it is known that it will always cause the beam to rotate, regardless of its value. This is due to the equation 0 = (m)(g)(35) + (m)(g)(20) - (x)(g)(10), where m represents the two equal masses and x represents the unknown mass of mass 2. It is important to note that the term corresponding to mass 2 is negative, indicating that it will always cause a rotation.
Heisenberg52
Mass 1 is located at the far left end of a 90 cm beam. Mass 2 is located at the center of the beam, and mass 3 is located 30 cm from the center, on the right side. Mass 3 and mass 1 are the same. If the fulcrum is located 10 cm to the left of the center of the beam, what is the mass of mass 2 if the beam does not rotate?

My attempt: 0 = (m)(g)(35) + (m)(g)(20) - (x)(g)(10)
m corresponds to the two equal masses, and x corresponds to the mass we are looking for.

The answer is that the beam must rotate. In other words, no matter what the mass is for Mass 2, the beam will always rotate.

I just cannot see how this works. My attempt at an answer gave me that x is 5.5 times greater than that of m.

Physics news on Phys.org
Heisenberg52 said:
Mass 1 is located at the far left end of a 90 cm beam. Mass 2 is located at the center of the beam, and mass 3 is located 30 cm from the center, on the right side. Mass 3 and mass 1 are the same. If the fulcrum is located 10 cm to the left of the center of the beam, what is the mass of mass 2 if the beam does not rotate?

My attempt: 0 = (m)(g)(35) + (m)(g)(20) - (x)(g)(10)
m corresponds to the two equal masses, and x corresponds to the mass we are looking for.

The answer is that the beam must rotate. In other words, no matter what the mass is for Mass 2, the beam will always rotate.
[red emphasis mine.]

Yes, that's correct. No matter how much mass 2 is, an equilibrium cannot be reached.

I just cannot see how this works. My attempt at an answer gave me that x is 5.5 times greater than that of m.
Take another look at the term I marked in red above.

Is the term positive or negative? Where did the "20" come from (are you sure it shouldn't be some other number)?

(It should help to draw out a diagram of the beam and masses.)

Related to Rotational Equilibrium Problem

1. What is rotational equilibrium?

Rotational equilibrium is a state in which an object is not rotating or is rotating at a constant rate. This means that the net torque acting on the object is zero, and the object will maintain its angular velocity and orientation.

2. How do you determine if an object is in rotational equilibrium?

To determine if an object is in rotational equilibrium, you must calculate the net torque acting on the object. If the net torque is equal to zero, then the object is in rotational equilibrium.

3. What is the equation for calculating net torque?

The equation for calculating net torque is T = rFsinθ, where T is torque, r is the distance from the pivot point to the point where the force is applied, F is the magnitude of the force, and θ is the angle between the force vector and the lever arm.

4. What factors affect rotational equilibrium?

The factors that affect rotational equilibrium are the magnitude and direction of the forces acting on the object, the distance of the forces from the pivot point, and the object's mass and distribution of mass.

5. How can rotational equilibrium be used in real-world applications?

Rotational equilibrium is used in many real-world applications, such as balancing a seesaw, designing bridges and buildings, and calculating the stability of objects like satellites and airplanes. It is also used in sports such as gymnastics and diving to maintain balance and control during rotations.