Rotational energy on an incline

In summary: The total distance traveled is then:d = ∫_0^T v_{\rm final}(\omega_{\rm final},z_i)dx_0^TI see that you filled in 1.5 kg for M. But it's not just the cart body that's losing potential energy ! Nor is it just the cart body that has kinetic energy from linear motion: a moving wheel has kinetic energy also if it doesn't rotate !.so M is the mass of the moving system, which means M is 1.5 + 4
ZachAW

Homework Statement

A cart whose body has mass M = 1.5 kg is set on four tires each of which has mass m = 0.3 kg and radius r = 0.1 meters. Each tire can be treated as a solid disk with rotational inertia mr2/2. The cart is set on an incline a height h = 1.2 meters high and released. At the bottom, the cart runs into a spring whose force constant is 600 N/m. What is the speed of the cart when it reaches the bottom of the incline? How much is the spring compressed when the cart comes to rest?

Homework Equations

Mgh = 1/2*MV^2 + 1/2*Iω^2
U(s) = 1/2*Kx^2
I = 4(m*r^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

a)
I = 4(0.3*0.1^2)
I = 0.006 Kg m^2

2*Mgh = V^2 (M + I/r^2)
V = √(2*Mgh)/(M + I/r^2)
V = √(2*1.5*9.8*1.2)/(1.5 + 0.006/0.1^2)
V = √(35.28)/(2.1)
V = 4.09 m/s

b)
Mgh = 1/2*MV^2 + 1/2*Iw^2 + 1/2*Kx^2
35.28 = 12.546 + 5.01843 + 250x^2
x = √(17.71557)/(250)
x = 0.26 m

So what did I do wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Zach, welcome to PF :smile:

A clear and concise post. Not all that verbose on the attempt at solution, but it looks as if you know what you are doing.
So just a quick hint and you'll be fine, I hope:

I see that you fill in 1.5 kg for M. But it's not just the cart body that's losing potential energy ! Nor is it just the cart body that has kinetic energy from linear motion: a moving wheel has kinetic energy also if it doesn't rotate !

And in b) the problem formulation "when the cart comes to rest" should help you see what you can do to improve that answer :wink:

I sense a little snag there: If your problem statement means the spring is along the incline, the cart will lose some more potential energy, so it becomes a bit nastier equation than when the spring is horizontal.

Last edited:
BvU said:
I see that you fill in 1.5 kg for M. But it's not just the cart body that's losing potential energy ! Nor is it just the cart body that has kinetic energy from linear motion: a moving wheel has kinetic energy also if it doesn't rotate !.
so M is the mass of the moving system, which means M is 1.5 + 4(0.3) = 2.7 Kg
V = √(2*2.7*9.8*1.2)/(2.7 + 0.006/0.1^2)
V = √(63.504)/(3.3)
V = 4.38 m/s
And for part b I think you should see the diagram for better understanding

Attachments

• Frensley_Rotation_Energy_011.gif
    Frensley_Rotation_Energy_011.gif
    3.1 KB · Views: 478
Sure helps ! So it's the easy way. Now think of ##v_{\rm final}## and ##\omega_{\rm final}##

Related to Rotational energy on an incline

1. What is rotational energy on an incline?

Rotational energy on an incline is the energy possessed by an object as it rotates while moving along an inclined surface. It takes into account both the object's linear kinetic energy due to its motion along the incline, as well as its rotational kinetic energy due to its spinning motion.

2. How does rotational energy change on an incline?

As an object rolls or slides down an incline, its rotational energy decreases while its linear kinetic energy increases. This is because some of the object's rotational energy is being converted into linear kinetic energy to enable it to move along the incline.

3. What factors affect rotational energy on an incline?

The main factors that affect rotational energy on an incline are the mass and shape of the object, the incline angle, and the surface conditions (such as friction). Objects with a larger mass or a more complex shape will have a higher rotational energy, while a steeper incline or a surface with more friction will decrease the rotational energy.

4. How is rotational energy on an incline calculated?

The formula for calculating rotational energy on an incline is: E = (1/2)Iω2 + (1/2)mv2, where E is the total energy, I is the moment of inertia of the object, ω is the angular velocity, m is the mass, and v is the linear velocity. This formula takes into account both the rotational and linear kinetic energy of the object.

5. Why is understanding rotational energy on an incline important?

Understanding rotational energy on an incline is important because it helps us understand the motion of objects on inclined surfaces, which is a common occurrence in our daily lives. It also allows us to calculate the energy of an object and how it changes as it moves along an incline, which is crucial for many practical applications such as designing roller coasters or analyzing the movement of vehicles on hilly roads.