Rotational energy and flywheels

In summary, the conversation discusses two questions regarding the use of flywheels as an energy storage mechanism for cars. The first question involves calculating the energy stored in a rapidly spinning flywheel and using it to determine how high a hill a 1000kg car (including the flywheel) could climb. The second question asks for the calculation of the centripetal force on a 1kg chunk of metal near the edge of the flywheel. The conversation also includes clarifications on the mass of the flywheel and the number of flywheels on the car.
goli12

Homework Statement

Hey guys I have two questions. The first one I'm not sure, while the second one, I have some idea but don't know how to proceed with answering the question.

1. A rapidly spinning flywheel has been suggested as an energy storage mechanism for cars. Let's consider a 300kg uniform disk flywheel of diameter of 0.5m spinning at 100 rotations per second. Find the energy stored in the spinning flywheel. How higha hill could the 1000kg car (including the flywheel) climb with this energy?

2. Calculate the force on a 1kg chunk of metal near the edge of the disk.

Homework Equations

ω=2∏/T
Erot=0.5Iω2=0.25MR2ω2
Erot=Ep

The Attempt at a Solution

ω=2∏*100/1=628rads-1

The total mass of the car is 1000kg which includes the flywheels. In total there are 4 flywheels on the car. So the mass of the car is distributed among the 4 wheels.

M=1000/4=250kg (per wheel)

Using the third equation,
Erot=0.25*250*0.252*6282=1540562.5J
This is the energy for one wheel. Therefore, the total energy of the 4 wheel is 4*1540562.5=6162250J.

Using conservation of energy (last equation) 6162250=250*9.8*h.
Solving for h: h=6162250/(250*9.8)=2515m

For this question, I know that I have to find the tangential force, but, how would i start? Is the tangential force a component of centripetal force?

Many thanks :D

Physics news on Phys.org
1. You have this wrong. The mass of the flywheel is stated in the problem as 300kg. It only mentions one flywheel so I've no idea why you are assuming there are four 250kg flywheels?

Use your equation to work out the energy stored in that one 300kg flywheel.

The total car weight is given as 1000kg. Write an equation for the energy required to raise that much mass by height h. Assume all the energy stored in that one 300kg flywheel is converted into raising the car and solve for h.

2. You are making it more complicated than it is. The answer is just the centripetal force. Imagine you have a 1kg mass on a string of length =0.5m rotating at ω. What is the centripetal force (aka tension in the string).

CWatters said:
1. You have this wrong. The mass of the flywheel is stated in the problem as 300kg. It only mentions one flywheel so I've no idea why you are assuming there are four 250kg flywheels?
Seems to be a confusion between flywheels and roadwheels.

CWatters said:

Use your equation to work out the energy stored in that one 300kg flywheel.

The total car weight is given as 1000kg. Write an equation for the energy required to raise that much mass by height h. Assume all the energy stored in that one 300kg flywheel is converted into raising the car and solve for h.

2. You are making it more complicated than it is. The answer is just the centripetal force. Imagine you have a 1kg mass on a string of length =0.5m rotating at ω. What is the centripetal force (aka tension in the string).

Sorry for the late reply, many thanks for your input!
Ahhh yes, googled "flywheels", turned out to be some wheel under a car storing energy. Got confused with flywheels being the tyres haha :D

Obviously not an F1 fan :-)

Related to Rotational energy and flywheels

What is rotational energy?

Rotational energy is the energy possessed by an object due to its rotation around an axis. It is similar to linear kinetic energy, but instead of the object's linear motion, it is based on its rotational motion.

How is rotational energy calculated?

The formula for calculating rotational energy is E = 1/2 * I * ω^2, where E is the rotational energy in Joules, I is the moment of inertia of the object in kg*m^2, and ω is the angular velocity in radians per second.

What is a flywheel?

A flywheel is a mechanical device that stores rotational energy by using a large, heavy disk or wheel that is mounted on an axis. It is used to regulate the speed of a machine by storing energy when it is rotating at a higher speed and releasing it when the speed decreases.

What are the applications of flywheels?

Flywheels have various applications in industries, such as in engines, generators, and vehicles. They are also used in energy storage systems, such as in hybrid cars and renewable energy systems, to store excess energy and release it when needed.

How do flywheels contribute to energy efficiency?

Flywheels are used in energy storage systems to improve energy efficiency by reducing the need for constant energy production. They store and release energy when needed, allowing for a more efficient use of energy. Flywheels also have a high energy density, meaning they can store a large amount of energy in a small space. This makes them a compact and efficient solution for energy storage.