Rotational dynamics - pleaaaaase help

In summary, when the rope attached to the end of the board breaks, there is only 1 force acting on the board. This force is the weight of the board multiplied by the moment of inertia of the board about the pivot.
jaded18
A uniform board of mass m and length L is pivoted on one end and is supported in the horizontal position by a rope attached to the other end. Another rope, attached to the board a distance L/3 from the pivot point, is being pulled straight down with a constant force of magnitude F.

1) How far is the axis of rotation from the center of mass of the board?
Express your answer in terms of quantities given in the problem introduction.

2) How far is the axis of rotation from the point of application of force F?
Express your answer in terms of quantities given in the problem introduction.
____
ok... what? There are no diagrams for this Q. And I'm a visual person. Care to explain what's going on?

Physics news on Phys.org
The board is horizontal right now. The length of the board is L so if you pretend there's a coordinate plane: the pivot at one end is at x=0 and the other end is at x=L. Can you fill in the rest?

i think so ... so if the axis of rotation is L/2 from the center of mass of the board ... then the axis of rotation is L/3 from the point of application of force F? I'm not quite sure on the second part

Ah, I think I see it now... So: Suddenly, the rope attached to the end of the board breaks. How many forces are acting on the board after the rope attached to the end of the board breaks?

First there were three forces... one on each side and one from below? and now there is only one??

The only difference is that the force at L is gone, so now there are two forces. Which one did you forget?

actually there are three... what are they?? the ones on the left and right and gravity?

so the answers are 1)L/2 and 2)L/3

are there more parts to the problem?

another Q: Find the angular acceleration alpha of the board immediately after the rope breaks.

so i know that Torque = I(alpha) ... mhm... how would i go about using the quantities introduced in #1 box to find the net torque ...

Last edited:
thanks for the response :)

Related to Rotational dynamics - pleaaaaase help

1. What is rotational dynamics?

Rotational dynamics is the study of the motion of objects that are rotating around an axis. It involves understanding the forces, torque, and moments of inertia that affect the rotational motion of an object.

2. How is rotational dynamics different from linear dynamics?

Rotational dynamics deals with the motion of objects that are rotating, while linear dynamics deals with the motion of objects in a straight line. Rotational dynamics also involves additional concepts such as torque and moments of inertia, which are not present in linear dynamics.

3. What is the equation for torque in rotational dynamics?

The equation for torque in rotational dynamics is τ = rFsinθ, where τ is the torque, r is the distance from the axis of rotation to the point where the force is applied, F is the applied force, and θ is the angle between the force and the lever arm.

4. How is angular acceleration calculated in rotational dynamics?

Angular acceleration (α) is calculated by dividing the net torque (τ) by the moment of inertia (I), α = τ/I. The moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion and depends on the object's mass, shape, and distribution of mass.

5. What is the conservation of angular momentum in rotational dynamics?

The conservation of angular momentum states that in a closed system, the total angular momentum remains constant. This means that if one part of the system experiences a change in angular momentum, another part of the system must experience an equal and opposite change in angular momentum to maintain the total angular momentum of the system.