Rotational Dynamics on a door knob

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of torque required to turn a doorknob through 1/6 of a revolution, which requires 0.1 J of work. It is mentioned that torque is equal to force multiplied by radius, and that work is equal to force multiplied by distance. The arc length subtended by the angle of rotation is also mentioned, leading to the equation wd = F*r*theta = torque*theta. It is suggested to simplify the equation before plugging in numbers.
Huskies213
Can anyone help me with where to begin ? ? ?

Turning a doorknob through 1/6 of a revolution requires 0.1 J of work. What is the torque required to turn the doorknob?

i know that T = F x r
what is the force and radius ?(is radius 3/6=1/2??)

Physics news on Phys.org
Energy equals force times distance. 0.1 = F*ds where ds = (pi/3)*R, pi/3 is 1/6 of revolution.
As you said T = F*R, So now you have 3 equations and 4 unknows one of which would cancel out.
I hope it is helpful.

Re

Can anyone explain more ? I am still lost

As you correctly say torque is given by;

[tex]\tau = F r[/tex]

I would think you also know that work done is given by;

[tex]Wd = Fs[/tex]

If we have a circle of radius [itex]r[/itex] and an angle of [itex]\theta[/itex] then the arc length subtended by that angle is given by;

[tex]s = r\theta[/tex]

Now substituting [itex]s = r\theta[/itex] into the work equation (because the force acts tangentally) gives;

[tex]\fbox{wd = F r\theta = \tau\theta}[/tex]

This is basically what Dmitri said, but simplyfying before plugging in the numbers. Remember that a full revolution is [itex]2\pi[/itex] radians.

Hope this helps

-Hoot

Last edited:

Related to Rotational Dynamics on a door knob

1. What is rotational dynamics on a door knob?

Rotational dynamics on a door knob refers to the study of the movement and forces involved in turning a door knob. This includes understanding the concepts of torque, angular momentum, and rotational equilibrium.

2. Why is understanding rotational dynamics on a door knob important?

Understanding rotational dynamics on a door knob is important because it can help us design more efficient and durable door knobs. It also helps us understand the mechanics of everyday objects and how forces and motion interact in rotational motion.

3. How is torque involved in rotational dynamics on a door knob?

Torque is the measure of the force applied to an object to make it rotate. In the case of a door knob, the force applied by a person's hand creates a torque that turns the knob and opens the door.

4. What is angular momentum in relation to rotational dynamics on a door knob?

Angular momentum is the measure of an object's rotational motion. In the case of a door knob, the angular momentum is created by the force applied to the knob and the distance from the axis of rotation (the hinge of the door).

5. How does rotational equilibrium play a role in opening a door with a door knob?

Rotational equilibrium is achieved when the net torque on an object is zero, meaning the object is not rotating. In the case of a door knob, the door will only open if the torque applied by the person's hand is greater than the torque resisting the door's movement, thus breaking rotational equilibrium and allowing the door to open.